Back up the tat!!!

Lost gear? Selling? Donating? Questions?

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Back up the tat!!!

Postby chossmonkey » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:47 am

So sad. And from the sound of it completely preventable. :cry:

http://www.redriverclimbing.com/viewtopic.php?t=10862
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Re: Back up the tat!!!

Postby Adam » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:10 am

damn. it has been a bad season.
Adam

Postby martha » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:17 am

Jesus, 2 climbers at once. I love to climb, but with everything that has happened this season it makes me want to take a step back farther then I already have. my babies need me more than I need to climb.

My heart aches for the families and friends of these people. :(
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby chossmonkey » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:43 am

martha wrote:I love to climb, but with everything that has happened this season it makes me want to take a step back farther then I already have.

If you don't look both ways you could just as easily get hit by a bus crossing the street. Nobody was there to witness what happened, but from what has been figured out to this point those deaths were very likely 100% easily preventable. The girl that decked off of "Ro" was also very preventable. It makes me sick to think about it all.

It seems like climbing has become to safe and people just aren't thinking anymore.

For what its worth, those are supposedly the only deaths of climbers at the Red.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby martha » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:00 pm

Yeah, I know all that.... far more likely to get in a car accident too. I will never stop climbing... but it all will make me be safer and aware every time I go.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby granite_grrl » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:38 pm

Yup, the worst thing you can do as a climber is become complaisant.
granite_grrl

Postby Fred » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:57 pm

chossmonkey wrote:If you don't look both ways you could just as easily get hit by a bus crossing the street.

Not really. Statistics would definitely disagree with you here. You could get hit crossing the street is much different than saying you could just as easily get hit crossing the street...

I don't think one can argue that climbing is inharently dangerous. The insurance industry leans on statistics and any climber who has tried to get life insurance will know that insurance companies are well educated in this subject. I was surprised to find out how much they know about the different types of climbing and their associated risks. If they will only insure us at a well calculated premium, it's for a reason.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby chossmonkey » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:42 am

Fred wrote:
chossmonkey wrote:If you don't look both ways you could just as easily get hit by a bus crossing the street.

Not really. Statistics would definitely disagree with you here. You could get hit crossing the street is much different than saying you could just as easily get hit crossing the street...

I was referring to the latest incident. And if you don't look before crossing, depending on the street of course, you could very easily get hit.

I guess my point was that one of the first things most peoples mothers taught them when they started going outside was look both ways before crossing. Much the same one of the first rules of climbing is to never trust your life to one piece of gear, especially old webbing. I people don't pay attention or be aware of the dangers the overall danger can skyrocket really quick.
chossmonkey

Postby Fred » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:59 pm

I agree. But I would add that even the best have accidents and unfortunately in climbing it's not very forgiving. If you play with fire long enough...
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby STeveA » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:59 pm

If you play with fire long enough you learn how to handle it!

A single sling on 2 bolts used as a rap anchor is bad and unless I had just placed the sling myself I would not trust it. Better to leave a $8 biner behind than risk your life.

Lowering someone through a rap ring is bad. People should rappel off a rap anchor.

Clipping into the sling at an anchor is bad. Clip into the bolts so you have some backup.

This incident, while sad, does not portray an accurate picture of the dangers involved in rock climbing. It reminds me of the time PJ, who was about 5 years old at the time, ran across the road in front of our house. He reached the other side and turned around, then telling his mother "see, I ran across the road with my eyes closed, and nothing happened." Sometimes you can get away with stupid tricks, but if you act stupidly long enough ....
You are, therefore I am. That is the question....
STeveA

Return to Gear