climbing headlamp

Lost gear? Selling? Donating? Questions?

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

climbing headlamp

Postby chameleon » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:15 pm

Any recommendations on a good headlamp for night climbing and trail running?
General cost? Availability in Halifax?

Thanks.
Sean
chameleon

Re: climbing headlamp

Postby Fred » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:24 pm

We've had almost every model of Tikka (original Tikka, Tikka Plus, Tikka Ninja, etc.) and although they are all awesome for camping, night climbing, reading, and hiking, I don't think they are powerful enough IMO for trail running. I've used it for x-country skate skiing and night running on flat terrain but it doesn't cast much distance for running in the woods on rough trails.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Stan » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:34 am

Tikka XP rules. Much better than regular Tikka/Tikka Plus.
If you need even more power, go with Myo XP
Stan

Postby chameleon » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:25 am

I assume these models are ones with two modes: normal and halogen???
I see your point Fred about the higher demands for light when trail running at night, but I'm more concerned about getting enough light to see subtleties in the rock at night.

The Myo looks interesting, but the battery looks like a pain in the ask.

Thanks for the recommendations - I'll check them out.

S
chameleon

Postby Fred » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:02 am

chameleon wrote:Fred about the higher demands for light when trail running at night, but I'm more concerned about getting enough light to see subtleties in the rock at night.

I'd go with the Tikka XP
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby chossmonkey » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:49 pm

Fred wrote:
chameleon wrote:Fred about the higher demands for light when trail running at night, but I'm more concerned about getting enough light to see subtleties in the rock at night.

I'd go with the Tikka XP

I'd go with a flood light. :wink:

I've climbed quite a bit with my Tikka Plus, but is seems like all headlamps fall kinda short, especially when trying to see your feet.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby Shawn B » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:46 am

petzl lights suck. very unreliable. i've had more of them go dark on me than any other light. black diamond makes nice lights and they have never let me down. ive got the spot and it is a great little light...far superior to tikka. it throws a surprising amount of light for such a small lamp. the icon might be a better choice if you want more light for running though.
Safety third!!!
Shawn B

Postby martha » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:42 pm

I have the Tikka XP and it is great for climbing, camping and knitting in the dark. LOL. I don't like it for hiking as it seems you easily outrun your light. Fred uses his most for reading in bed after I am asleep.

I don't know if it is the moisture of camping in fog, ice climbing etc that makes the headlamps suck or not, but you'd think they'd be designed to handle a bit of that. Our last 2 started to flicker really early on like they had a loose wire or something.

Marie-France has a Black Diamond headlamp and it seems so much nicer than our Petzl's. (not to mention it has pink Hot Rod flames on it!) we've been through about 6 of them between us in the last 7 years or so. seems a bit much really. Next time mine dies I think I'll try the Black Diamond for sure. My brother uses a Black Diamond one for trail running and loves it.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby *Chris* » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:45 pm

I've had the same expereince as Shawn. My petzl light pretty much sucks. It's unreliable and dim. Sometimes little better than moonlight dim. I couldn't imagine running with it. Not sure about which Tikka model it is but it's the one with 4 simple LEDs.
*Chris*

Postby chameleon » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:29 pm

Given that I've run into 2 trees this year in broad daylight, I'm thinking night running (even with flood lights) might be a bad idea for me!!

I have a Tikka Plus (4 leds) and it really does suk.
By all accounts on the web, the Tikka XP is well superior though.
Shawn B: have you tried that one? Cara says it rocks for knitting - hard to top that testimonial.
And have you used the BD Spot for climbing?

I was wondering about the feet thing...perhaps an extra headlamp for each knee?
chameleon

Postby Shawn B » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:48 pm

nope sorry haven't tried petzl lately due to poor results years ago. some say the myo works fine. i had so many problems at inopportune times that i will not buy petzl lights again. i currently use the bd spot for climbing approaches or shovelling the driveway. it is a very nice light with surprising output for its size. not sure about performance for trail runs. i use a nighthawk for night orienteering and it is very powerful...but also heavier than the spot and does bounce some when running. the spot would be fine for night running on dirt roads for sure. watch the weight for bouncing when running. i would think the more powerful black diamond light with the strap over the top of the head might suit you well. the top strap keeps it from falling down. it is heavier tho and uses aa vs aaa batteries (heavier). i would think the spot would be fine also for climbing.
Safety third!!!
Shawn B

Postby martha » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:50 pm

chameleon wrote: Cara says it rocks for knitting - hard to top that testimonial.

I know! that's what I'm saying. no one wants drop a stitch when knitting out camping! sheesh!
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Stan » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:03 pm

We used both Tikka and Tikka XP for cross-country skiing (with some speedy descents involved). XP was good, although a 3W Luxeon LED (myo XP?) would be a better option. What does irritate me in Petzl lights - they can't work with lithium batteries = not good for cold.
Stan

Postby Richard Eh! » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:11 pm

Truth be told, I was constantly out-skiing my Tikka XP on those descents Stan.....and I found it quite weak for late dark hikes out - high "sphincter factor" in dark nasty boulder fields!
If'n ya think ya can, ya can! If'n ya think ya can't, yer right....!
Richard Eh!

Postby Stan » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:44 pm

Richard, last time we were out you had a Tikka Plus (4 small LEDs).
XP has single 1W Luxeon LED.
Stan

Postby mike » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:18 pm

Buy 2 and put them both on the same head band.... works great!
mike

Postby Richard Eh! » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:01 pm

You're right stan! I like Mike's solution, maybe have to try that....
If'n ya think ya can, ya can! If'n ya think ya can't, yer right....!
Richard Eh!

Return to Gear