re-slinging cams

Lost gear? Selling? Donating? Questions?

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

re-slinging cams

Postby chameleon » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:31 am

Anyone had any luck sending their cams away to be re-slung.

I've heard that BD will re-sling old camalots for a nominal price. But I want to get all my cams fixed up. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Sean
chameleon

Re: re-slinging cams

Postby chossmonkey » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:54 pm

BD will do it. Yates I think will as well. I'm not sure of anyone in Canada who does though. There could be issues when shipping them across the border. We had some shoes resoled once by a place in West Virginia and ended up having to pay around $30 extra to the Canadian Goverment cause they thought they should tax us. :?

Honestly all mine a way overdue for reslinging too. If you do send them out post up and let us know how it goes.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby *Chris* » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:28 am

Double that... if you find a Canadian place definately post it up.
*Chris*

Postby Shawn B » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:39 am

ragged mtn in north conway does it. pick your sling length, colour. nylon only i think. 4 or 5 buck/cam. the guy sews them by hand right in front of you. :wink:
Safety third!!!
Shawn B

Postby chameleon » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:17 pm

Thanks doods.

I'll keep y'all posted as to how it goes.

Sounds like Ragged Mtn might be a good option (as long the guy's using a sewing machine - Shawn B's description makes it sound like he is ready to go...needle and thread in hand! ouch.)

I might check in with Arcteryx.

-Sean
chameleon

Postby Shawn B » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:38 pm

just joking about the "by hand" part. i had them do some of my old ones and they did a great job. they produce sewn slings and other sewn softgoods and the end product is a manufacturers bar tacked sewn sling. the nice thing was that i picked out the webbing that were going to be used so i assume you could get whatever length you want. i think turn around time was a week or so. i dropped mine off and picked them up though so not sure about the cross border issue.
Safety third!!!
Shawn B

Postby the kydd » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:42 pm

Sean

These guys might re-sling. However, they're a long way away...

Outdoor Innovations
3293 Main St
Vancouver BC, V5V 3M6

Phone #: 6 0 4-8 7 3-6 9 9 2
Fax #: 6 0 4-8 7 3-2 3 5 2

Also perhaps - On-sight Equipment... they're in Squamish.

Seems kinda silly to send your cams 5000 km to have them resown. But, if you were perhaps going that way to do some climbing in Squamish, or even headed slightly south to a little place called Yosemite then it might be worth it!
the kydd

Postby chameleon » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:06 pm

the kydd wrote:a little place called Yosemite

now yer talkin', jeff!!
chameleon

Postby granite_grrl » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:45 am

Shawn B wrote:just joking about the "by hand" part. i had them do some of my old ones and they did a great job. they produce sewn slings and other sewn softgoods and the end product is a manufacturers bar tacked sewn sling. the nice thing was that i picked out the webbing that were going to be used so i assume you could get whatever length you want. i think turn around time was a week or so. i dropped mine off and picked them up though so not sure about the cross border issue.

I have heard of people reslinging their cams with longer slings, doubled up ala DMM style, and they have been very happy with the results.

granite_grrl

Postby mick » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:22 am

Maybe this is a dumb question, but why not just cut the old webbing off and tie a new piece of dyneema on there with a water knot?

I can see that re-slinging would be preferable, since sewn runners are pretty and the bar tack less bulky than a knot. Tricams and threaded hexes can be repaired that way so why not SLCDs?
mick

Postby *Chris* » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:12 am

mick wrote:Maybe this is a dumb question, but why not just cut the old webbing off and tie a new piece of dyneema on there with a water knot?

I can see that re-slinging would be preferable, since sewn runners are pretty and the bar tack less bulky than a knot. Tricams and threaded hexes can be repaired that way so why not SLCDs?
I think you just answered your own question.

granite_grrl wrote:I have heard of people reslinging their cams with longer slings, doubled up ala DMM style, and they have been very happy with the results.
Just so I understand correctly... these folks are looping a sling through and then clipping both ends? Or are they passing it through the thumb loop twice and clipping both ends and the middle bight (thereby creating a trippled runner kinda like your pic but not exactly)? That might be preferrable to a water knot... but I'd still rather get em sewn I think. I could see the bar tack shifting onto the loop of the cam or the biner and becoming a pita.
*Chris*

Postby granite_grrl » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:43 am

*Chris* wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:I have heard of people reslinging their cams with longer slings, doubled up ala DMM style, and they have been very happy with the results.
Just so I understand correctly... these folks are looping a sling through and then clipping both ends? Or are they passing it through the thumb loop twice and clipping both ends and the middle bight (thereby creating a trippled runner kinda like your pic but not exactly)? That might be preferrable to a water knot... but I'd still rather get em sewn I think. I could see the bar tack shifting onto the loop of the cam or the biner and becoming a pita.

Its a longer runner that's sewn like the one in the DMM pic. The cam sling is captive, but they then have the choice of clipping the two loops when they want it shorter, or extending it if they want it longer (like you would with a trippled shoulder length sling).

This would be good if you're in areas where you often clip directly to the cam's sling (climbing cracks, etc), giving you a little more flexibility. In theory I think its a great idea, but I don't know if it would reduce the bulk of my rack (by not having to take as many runners with) or increase it ('cause the cams are a little more bulky).
granite_grrl

Postby *Chris* » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:03 pm

I read your post wrong the first go around. I thought you were presenting another alternative to sewing new slings on. Not sure why I read it that way. I dislexic must be.
*Chris*

Postby chossmonkey » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:36 pm

granite_grrl wrote:
*Chris* wrote:

Its a longer runner that's sewn like the one in the DMM pic. The cam sling is captive, but they then have the choice of clipping the two loops when they want it shorter, or extending it if they want it longer (like you would with a trippled shoulder length sling).

This would be good if you're in areas where you often clip directly to the cam's sling (climbing cracks, etc), giving you a little more flexibility. In theory I think its a great idea, but I don't know if it would reduce the bulk of my rack (by not having to take as many runners with) or increase it ('cause the cams are a little more bulky).
FYI most manufacturers want the webbing to be doubled where it goes over the cable to reduce the chance of cutting in an extreme loading situation. That is why they are normally tacked into place instead of being a loose loop.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby Shawn B » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:37 am

If you saw the pictures of the mangled mess of what was left of the cam's stem after a fall in the extended configuration you wouldn't have them slung that way...nor ever use it that way. Sorry can't find pics. Thought they were on BD website. BD was going to put an extendable sling on the c3's until they tested it.

PS It is not the same as a trippled up trad draw...or at least shouldn't be anyway.
Safety third!!!
Shawn B

Return to Gear