Ready For New Shoes

Lost gear? Selling? Donating? Questions?

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Ready For New Shoes

Postby Ken P » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:12 pm

Need to get new shoes pretty soon.
Has anyone any reviews on Evolv Pontas or Predators
Ken P

Re: Ready For New Shoes

Postby Burley » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:10 am

I'm sold on the Velcro Miuras. I've had a pair since May 2008 and just bought a new pair. First shoes that have lasted me more than a few months.
Burley

Postby granite_grrl » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:53 pm

Evolv makes some solid shoes....great prices too. I assume there's no dealer out on the East Coast, and that's why you're asking? Evolv sizing is a little weird as far as I can tell. I think they try to do the downsizing for you, seeing as their different styles are ment to be downsized to different degrees, which its kind of a pain in the ass IMO. If you get out travelling in the States a lot of shops near big climbing areas carry them.
granite_grrl

Postby *Chris* » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:31 pm

Doesn't the Radical Edge carry Evolve now? You could always just try them on there. If you get them post back up what you think. I'm going to be on the market for new wheels soon and unless something awesome presents itself... I've got my heart set on those new velcro miuras.
*Chris*

Postby Ken P » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:24 pm

Will do - I've gone through 5 or 6 pairs of Anasazis, I'm ready to try something new. Didn't know the Rad.Edg carried them, I'll likely give'em a go...
Ken P

Postby Holly Reid » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:10 pm

Hey Chris, I'm with Burley big time... Velcro Muiras are phenomenal (IMO). I am a bit of a Sportiva lover though since that's all I've ever really worn.
Holly Reid

Postby Murph » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:12 pm

I've been climbing in my Ronald McDonald shoes (Testarossa's) since April 08' and they have been holding up like a champ, highly recommended! They excel at just about everything except for foot/toe jams (ouch!)
-"Why do this instead of a 5.13 sport climb?"
-"Cause this is way more bitch!n'"
Matt Segal, The sharp end
Murph

Postby Burley » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:50 am

They stretch very little and the velcro will die before the rubber, but can get it fixed easily. You can try mine at gage if you like Ken.
Burley

Postby Ken P » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:05 am

Sure I'll be there tonight.
Ken P

Postby mick » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:28 am

The Pontas are really narrow. Like, really really narrow. They aren't very aggressive either, which is odd considering all the crazy overhanging stuff they were supposedly designed for.

Evolv Predators are amazing. Don't size any smaller than your street shoe or you are in for alot of pain breaking them in. They stretch just a touch, but your feet will probably change shape more than the shoe does. I had a pair of Preds for a couple seasons until I blew out the toe in one shoe.

I'd buy them again. The shoe loses its downturn a bit over time, which is fine for everything except really steep bouldering. For that I prefer the lasportiva Solutions, but the heel doesn't fit as well in those as the Preds.
mick

Postby Scooter » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:17 am

I am a big lover of evolv predators. They are a bit tricky on steep vertical climbing.
Number one on the list is Muira's
Scott.R
Scooter

Return to Gear