Crash Pads

Lost gear? Selling? Donating? Questions?

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Crash Pads

Postby Leehammer » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:06 am

I've just started looking for a crash pad. Right away I'm shocked at how expensive they are... some of them are like 450 bucks!
It seems like they are just a dense piece of foam with some material around them that folds. Why are they so expensive? and what do you really get for the more expensive ones?
Anyone have recommendations for good cheaper ones, or better yet, one they don't use any more that they are willing to sell? I love second hand!

Liam
Leehammer

Re: Crash Pads

Postby mick » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:44 am

The cheapest pad on the market is the Metolius Stomp (formerly the Cheap Bastard). It's actually quite a good pad and can be had for about $125 I believe. If you have a little more money, the Metolious Behemoth is on sale at MEC for $200 and is gigantic and provides an excellent catch.

Believe it or not, it's the foam that is the expensive part. Most pads have two densities of foam; open cell and closed cell. Closed cell foam is very pricey so you will pay more for pads that have a thick layer of closed cell, and bargain basement pads might only have open cell. Don't buy those, it's really easy to bottom out on open cell alone.

Keep your eyes open for used pads, you might get lucky. Or you can save your pennies.
mick

Re: Crash Pads

Postby gwa » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:36 am

While living in Halifax I needed a crash pad for buildering and couldn't justify buying a new one. I scrounged couch cushions (open cell/soft foam), old 80's work mats(closed cell / hard foam), bought a couple plastic highball sheets from MEC ($3/sheet), and duct taped it all together.

If you're in a university town at this time of year you shouldn't have any problem finding couch cushions. The oldschool work out mats... I scored some that were being thrown out on campus. The plastic highball sheets were crucial. They spread out the impact. Otherwise the foam would have been too squishy.

The sandwhich of foams and plastic sheets resulted in really good cushioning. Not too soft, not too hard. I took some good falls on those puppies without any sweat to my ankles. I used to drag those things all over the Dal campus looking like a hobo. Some people I knew attached back pack straps to their home made pads. I just throw mine ( I had 2) under my arms.

I've moved on though. I bought a real crash pad a couple years ago and immediatly knew that it was worth it. I went with the Metolious Fat Bastard. Good price and excellent fall cushioning. My only gripe is that its uncomfortable to hike with when you've got it loaded with a day's worth of stuff. This is partly due to the cheap straps and partly due to it feeling lopsided because of the fold. A Taco/burrito style will distribute the weight better.

Get a pad good quality pad and one that you like. Cause you'll have it for a long time.
Graham
gwa

Return to Gear