BD Sabretooth Clip

Lost gear? Selling? Donating? Questions?

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

BD Sabretooth Clip

Postby Fox » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Hey all

I am looking at what type of crampons to purchase and I am wondering if anyone has any experience using the BD Sabretooth Clip's? I am looking for something that I can use for both mountaineering and some easy vertical ice. BD claims these to be there most versatile crampons on the market, I am just wondering if anyone can back that up with some experience. Any other suggestions/alternatives are welcome.

Thanks

Fox
Life is an uphill battle, I just take a more direct route than some.
Fox

Re: BD Sabretooth Clip

Postby chossmonkey » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:09 pm

Is the clip the one with or with out the wire front toe bail?

I have the sabertooths with the wire bail and they do work well as an all purpose crampon. The horizontal FPs work really well in crappy ice/snice. As long as you keep them sharp they climb vertical ice fine as well. As far as drytooling, some rock favors vertical points, and some favor horizontals. The horizontals work well most of the time, sometimes better than my fruit boots for some applications.

If you really do want an "all purpose" pon, those or the Grivel G12's are the way to go. If you will be climbing mostly steep WI you may want to reconsider and go with something else.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Return to Gear