Prices at MEC

Lost gear? Selling? Donating? Questions?

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Prices at MEC

Postby *Chris* » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:47 pm

Has anybody else noticed that prices on climbing gear at MEC have taken a sudden spike? WTF! The Canadian dollar hasn't moved much and is still quite high *assuming MEC probably buys most gear in Yankee $USD$*. I wonder what happened? I looked at the last few orders I made and compared to now:

Metolious master cams up to $62 from $49 - Up 27%
Sportiva Muira shoes up to $171 from $135 - Up 27%
#2 BD Camalot up to $69 from $57 - Up 21%

That would seriously hurt if you just newly purchased a rack.
*Chris*

Re: Prices at MEC

Postby chossmonkey » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:51 pm

I hadn't really noticed since we haven't been buying much gear lately.

I was just taking a look and L.A. pitons are $21 a piece now! :shock: I don't think it was that long ago they were around $10.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby Leehammer » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:45 am

On last check, The Radical Edge had lower prices on most shoes, I think the Miura's were around $150.
Leehammer

Postby Rosie » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:21 pm

Good thing I bought my rack in April then!

I just checked, I paid $60 for my BD #2 in April, and now they're $69. Yikes is right!!
Rosie

Postby lmac » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:31 pm

I'm thinking the same thing as you Rosie. I bought my rack in April and then picked it up in Alberta to avoid the extra taxes in NB or BC. It looks like it would be a lot more expensive now.

Although, everything is all scratched up now.
lmac

Postby bns » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:06 pm

yes all the climbing shoes have gone up in price at MEC
bns

Postby Adam » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:42 pm

lmac wrote:Although, everything is all scratched up now.

you say it like it is a bad thing.
Adam

Postby Matt Peck » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:34 am

Cams at EMS are 20% off. Lots o-other stuff too.
You can't take the sky from me.
Matt Peck

Postby mick » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:59 pm

Where is this EMS you speak of?
I am in the market for some cams
mick

Postby Matt Peck » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:08 am

Eastern Mountain Sports. Big chain in the US, similar to REI. Closest store is the monster new one in North Conway, NH, but they've got a pretty good website with online service. Just google em.
You can't take the sky from me.
Matt Peck

Postby PeterA » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:13 pm

I believe there is also an EMS in portland, Maine. A bit closer than North Conway maybe?

-PJ
PeterA

Postby gwa » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:58 pm

I contacted MEC about the price increase. This was their response.

-----------------------------
Thank you for writing to express your dismay with the recent price increases on our climbing gear. Please allow me to explain the 15% increases that you have noted.

MEC purchases most of the gear we sell in US dollars. Since we earn Canadian dollars when we sell the gear, we must purchase US currency used to pay our suppliers on the exchange markets. As you probably know the exchange rate between the US and Canadian dollars varies over time. Over the past 18 months we have experienced extreme exchange rate volatility where the Canadian dollar has traded at between $.70 and $1.10 US.

MEC purchases forward for 80% of our US dollars needs. Forward purchasing means that we agree to an exchange rate well in advance of the date that the currency will be required. For example, the exchange rate for the US currency we will use to pay for fall ’09 inventory shipments arriving now was determined 6-9 months ago. We purchase forward (also called hedging) for purposes of budgeting and financial planning. Locking in at a set exchange rate allows us to plan our pricing and expenses so that we meet our financial targets, so as to maintain our financial health.

In regards to your question about climbing gear, our currency exchange rate for the fall season is around C$1.20 to the US$1. That is, a US dollar costs us about $1.20 Canadian. This rate is a blend of currency purchases negotiated in late 2008 and early 2009, when the Canadian dollar was valued at around 80 cents to the US dollar. In contrast, our exchange for US currency used to purchase gear sold last spring was very close to C$1 to US$1. This currency was purchased in the spring/summer of 2008, when the Canadian dollar was trading at par, or higher, with the US dollar.

Since the US currency used to purchase inventory this fall cost MEC almost 20% more than the currency used to purchase our spring inventory, our inventory cost has risen by 15-20%. Most of this increase must be passed on to our members in the form of higher prices, otherwise we will not earn sufficient gross margin dollars to pay our operating expenses and meet our (modest) surplus targets. Hence the higher prices for the climbing gear that you wish to purchase.

MEC is committed to providing our members with the best quality gear at the lowest reasonable price. The unprecedented price increases we have implemented this season are the result of unprecedented currency fluctuations over the past 18 months. We regret having to increases prices for you and our other members, but we must do so in order to maintain our financial health.

Even with this season’s price increases I think you will find that our climbing gear prices are as good as or better than at other outdoor retailers. If the cams or ice tools that you wish to purchase are priced lower at another store within any of the cities that MEC serves, then we will gladly match that lower price.

I hope that I have answered your question. Please call me on the toll free number below if you would like to discuss this matter with me.
Regards,
Harry
Toll Free within Canada and USA
t. 800.663.2667
Graham
gwa

Postby *Chris* » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:27 pm

That's quite an explanation. Most other outfits would have given you a 10 word answer. Turns out my original assessment of the exchange rate correlation was the correct factor... but not the correct direction. Thanks for forwarding.
*Chris*

Postby Fred » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:41 pm

gwa wrote:Even with this season’s price increases I think you will find that our climbing gear prices are as good as or better than at other outdoor retailers. If the cams or ice tools that you wish to purchase are priced lower at another store within any of the cities that MEC serves, then we will gladly match that lower price.

Quite the retailer response. Doesn't sound much like a not for profit co-op attitude.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby chossmonkey » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:49 am

So this totally explains why the nomics jumped $20 a piece in the middle of last winter. :roll:
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby Stacey » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:14 am

I would think also - that the cost of customs/duties etc. is taken into account for price increases...though I would think the dollar has been more stable and close to par in the last 12 months than low at 70 cents....

Unfortunately some of their prices are not that competitive...however their comment on 'matching' a competitor price is a new revelation...

Stacey
''When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.''
~John Muir
Stacey

Postby martha » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:45 am

Any company, not just MEC 'hedges' their pricing and exchange rate 6-12 months in advance. I worked in Sporting goods wholesale for a long time and this is common practice.

Athough duties and taxes probably haven't changed a lot... most definitely shipping costs are higher every year.

MEC does get 'modest' profits.. and you'll see that in their core values, they put back those $$ into the outdoor industry every year in forms of grants, sponsorships and other methods.

I'm cool with it. MEC Is a great company.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Stacey » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:12 pm

martha wrote:
MEC does get 'modest' profits.. and you'll see that in their core values, they put back those $$ into the outdoor industry every year in forms of grants, sponsorships and other methods.

I'm cool with it. MEC Is a great company.

me too Cara - - all companies (co-op, or not-for profit) have to have a 'reserve' (those 'modest profits' for example) for leaner years...otherwise they will fold. Downturns in the economy can really hurt companies who don't 'save' for a rainy day :)

MEC is the bomb - - it's great when someone notices our gear from there...and they praise it - - wishing they had MEC and not just REI! ;-)

Stace
''When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.''
~John Muir
Stacey

Postby Shawn B » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:47 am

If you are in North Conway, IME will usually match any sale at EMS. And you are supporting a small local shop vs a large retail chain. No tax in NH makes up for any exchange rate right now too.
Safety third!!!
Shawn B

Postby sand » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:05 am

Prices were up in La Cordée in Québec as well (was up there about a week ago)
I guess it's time to plan a trip to North Conway!
Sandrine
sand

Postby mick » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:57 am

Just noticed that cam prices have come down at MEC in time for the new year. Looks like they agreed to a more reasonable exchange rate for 2010.
mick

Postby Ammex » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:49 am

Shoe prices are all down a few bucks as well.
Ammex

Return to Gear