Grivel X-Monster

Lost gear? Selling? Donating? Questions?

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Grivel X-Monster

Postby tintanium » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:50 am

Does anyone have an opinion on these? I'm thinking of getting some new tools and the MEC price makes these a very attractive option.
tintanium

Re: Grivel X-Monster

Postby chossmonkey » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:55 pm

They are probably better for dry tooling than for ice climbing.

I've never had the chance to use them.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby Stan » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:25 pm

check out classifieds at neice.com

there are some nice tools
Stan

Postby new to NB » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:08 pm

I have a set on the new X monsters. And I love them, yes they are ment as a dry tool and I have used them for both. However they rock on ice. My only complaint is that they can get stuck at times. That beeing said you DO NOT have to swing them at all. I either hook what I can or a light tap and the stick like crazy. I am in hood river OR right now for the last month and we just got back from a Mt Hood push never made it ) and I took them along with a BD Raven pro and I only used the raven once to walk with, they were great. We also were at the great White in Salt Lake last week and they performed so well for the money I paid for them.
new to NB

Postby tintanium » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:06 am

Thanks for the advice guys. I had gone ahead and ordered a pair and have climbed ice with them several times now. I am very happy with them so far - they have a great swing, stick really well, and have tons of hand positions built in. Extracting them is sometimes an issue, but at the same time it's good to know that the placements are so solid. For $242 a pair at MEC I don't think they can be beat.
tintanium

Return to Gear