gaiters

Lost gear? Selling? Donating? Questions?

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

gaiters

Postby Adam » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:18 am

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_deta ... 4432231414

how durable are these? do they stop points from cutting through to your pants?? (ya ya better footwork is a better prevention but barring that)

anyone have a suggestion of more durable/comparably priced gaiters? or do you have to spend a lot more to get more durability?
Adam

Re: gaiters

Postby *Chris* » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:33 am

Adam,
I wear the cheap nylon gaiters from MEC and they have saved my more expensive pants on several occasions. I find them completely satisfactory:

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_deta ... 4423036281
*Chris*

Postby granite_grrl » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:59 am

I used the MEC nylon gaiters for quite a while before I upgraded to the Gortex ones. For about 95% of the time the nylon ones will do just as well as the more expensive options, the other 5% of the time you've accidentally stepped into water that's too deep and it gives you those extra few seconds to get out before the water floods into your boots.

In terms of ripping your pants the nylon ones might work a little better, but I haven't tested either very much. The only time I've put a whole in either I tripped over myself on the trail.
granite_grrl

Postby Joe » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:45 pm

I gottem and likem. They're beefy - no holes yet. But like you said, best to walk like you're Ron Jeremy.
Joe

Postby Jon Corey » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:24 pm

I have the cheap 15.00 ones. I broke the zipper on one but I was a bit too rough. Only complaint is the tie that goes under the boot is not long enough.
I put a longer shoelace on and problem solved.
Jon Corey

Postby chossmonkey » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:52 pm

I have those and they have kept my pants hole free except for the time I ripped the inside of the knee above the gaiter. I have never ripped through the gaiters and then into my pants. The gaiters are pretty beat up but I've just been taping them with this clear tape probably available at MEC. It work much better than duct tape for fixing holes and is clear so it isn't as noticeable.

The hook on the front on mine is pretty loose. I actually never use mine anymore since it won't stay on the laces, They stay down fine with out it anyway.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby Stan » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:22 pm

IMO, cheap nylon gaiters should be fine if they fit you. I got MEC ones in size large, and they are too tight. Or I am too fat. Or both.

Anyway, I went sans gaiters, and over 2 seasons managed to get away with just two small rips in my cheap $70 MH softshell pants.
Stan

Postby *Chris* » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:30 pm

Yeah... exact same problem as Stan. They are very snug on the calves. Although Stan may be too chubby in the ankles I prefer to think my problem is that I'm too ripped and huge!
*Chris*

Postby granite_grrl » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:53 pm

Jon Corey wrote:I have the cheap 15.00 ones. I broke the zipper on one but I was a bit too rough. Only complaint is the tie that goes under the boot is not long enough.

I stopped using the the tie under the boot very quickly. I found that as long as the shoe lace hook was on snug enough I didn't have a problem.

Also, I would never unzip them, instead I would slip them on before I put my boots on and then roll them down. I found them hard to zip, and this was a lot easier for me. Also it prevents rough housing with the zipper.
granite_grrl

Postby Adam » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:50 pm

thanks for the advice all!
Adam

Postby martha » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:44 am

I've got the Outdoor Research 'Crocidile' that have codura on the bottom half of the leg. They really protect your pants and I have no trouble getting them over any boots. They are a bit big for me, but Fred can wear them too. Mine are very waterproof too so with early spring hikes etc I stay dry even going through small streams etc and keep everything inside my boots dry. I think mine were about $75.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Murph » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:02 pm

granite_grrl wrote:
Jon Corey wrote:I have the cheap 15.00 ones. I broke the zipper on one but I was a bit too rough. Only complaint is the tie that goes under the boot is not long enough.

I stopped using the the tie under the boot very quickly. I found that as long as the shoe lace hook was on snug enough I didn't have a problem.

Also, I would never unzip them, instead I would slip them on before I put my boots on and then roll them down. I found them hard to zip, and this was a lot easier for me. Also it prevents rough housing with the zipper.

I have the Nylon Gaiters from MEC as well. I find that zipping them up can be cumbersome at times and will usually leave them half zipped when possible. I have been thinking about swapping a longer shoelace for years now, but never got around to doing it. However, once they are zipped up, they serve their purpose.
-"Why do this instead of a 5.13 sport climb?"
-"Cause this is way more bitch!n'"
Matt Segal, The sharp end
Murph

Postby szymiec » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:42 pm

gaiters are so 90s man!
szymiec

Postby chossmonkey » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:30 am

szymiec wrote:gaiters are so 90s man!

Its true!!!

At least when keeping snow out of your panties.

For keeping your new pants from getting ripped up or keeping your legs dry when falling through the creek ice there just isn't a replacement as far as I know.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby Fred » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:06 am

szymiec wrote:gaiters are so 90s man!

Dude, you're gona die on one of those mountains someday if you are worried about fashion.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Outdoorsmack » Mon May 03, 2010 10:33 pm

I have the mec gortex gaiters, they work wonders but I did happen to put a hole in them this winter and the hole continued on through into my gortex rain pants. Other than that they are great, i just got a patch and they are good as new. I find the sizes seem to run a little small, so i suggest by one size up than normal.
Outdoorsmack
Outdoorsmack

Return to Gear