Winter Climbing Gloves

Lost gear? Selling? Donating? Questions?

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Winter Climbing Gloves

Postby Fox » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:52 pm

Hey all,

My old gloves that I have been using for ice climbing/mountaineering/skiing etc. have finally worn out, so it's time to buy some new ones. I am wondering what suggestions people have for an all around warm glove, but also with reasonable dexterity to be able to handle carabiners, tieing knots, etc. My old gloves were just some cheap Windriver pair from Mark's and I am looking to upgrade from those. I am willing to spend a decent amount, but not my life savings or anything. So, any comments suggestions would be great. I am also hoping to find something that will work well in all of the above mentioned sports, rather than needing three seperate pair of gloves.

Thanks

Fox
Life is an uphill battle, I just take a more direct route than some.
Fox

Re: Winter Climbing Gloves

Postby granite_grrl » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:14 pm

I actually do about 95% of my climbing wearing these BD liner glove:
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442627147&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302698971&bmUID=1264536387034

They're cheap, meaning that I can afford to carry three pairs and always have a dry pair on hand. They're thin and form fitting, meaning less pump as you're climbing. They have a leather palm so you're not slipping on your tool.

I do have a much warmer, heavier duty pair of gloves, but I have worn these in pretty cold temps. The key is to keep you hands warm until the moment you're about to jump on your climb (the climb should be able to keep them warm). I have a pair of Mercury Mitts for when it's really cold, but I'm amazed at how good a simple pair of wool mitts over these liner gloves work.

I don't think these are quite what you're looking for (you're more looking for a warmer, heavy duty pair of gloves), but they might be something worth while checking out.
granite_grrl

Postby Matt Peck » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:46 am

Patagonia makes the best ice climbing gloves period. Catch is, they stopped making them this year. See if you can find some online. They're so good that I bought the last pair of womens XL in Freeport after picking up the last mens M and they fit fine.
You can't take the sky from me.
Matt Peck

Postby *Chris* » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:00 am

These. $5. Winterized versions. I dare you to try them! Perfect for ice... even better for aid. Have thick mitts around for belaying. Good to lows approaching -8(ish).
*Chris*

Postby Nette » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:18 pm

I need to find some gloves with some serious padding. I'm destroying my knuckles out there because I have old school tools with no curve in the shaft and no finger rests. Any suggestions?
Nette

Postby Stan » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:32 am

Perhaps, you should work on your technique then.

As for gloves - check out Cloudveil Ice Floe. They have protective padding and offer decent dexterity at the same time. Good till -15C.
For really warm days OR Alibi might be an option - if they fit you (~$25 at sierratradingpost). Sizing is really weird. Very sticky rubber on palms and fingers. Good for climbing, but it sucks when belaying/rapping.
Stan

Return to Gear