Pinky rest / Protector

Lost gear? Selling? Donating? Questions?

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Pinky rest / Protector

Postby Charley » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:11 pm

Anyone know where I might find a commercially-made (or specially-made) pinky rest / protector for the bottom of my axes? I'm not looking for anything particularly fancy, just a simply shape that's easy to work around, because there'll have to be some modifying anyway to fit either the pick at the bottom of the shaft or the handle with a tiny bit of the rubber stripped away. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Jen
-Wo xiang mei er, mei xin, bian shi tou-
Charley

Re: Pinky rest / Protector

Postby Matt Peck » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:50 am

I found a really good pinky rest for my old vipers that should work for you, here's what I did:. I took my old axes, savored the memories, and then threw them the $#(@ in the trash. Then I went out and picked up this new attachment, I think they're called Nomics. Worked great ever since.
You can't take the sky from me.
Matt Peck

Postby chossmonkey » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:27 am

That is funny and would work, but it sounds a bit extreme.

Nomics are great tools but they sure aren't the end all be all tool. They certainly aren't for every climber.

What kind of tools do you you have? I think Grivel makes an attachment that can be made to fit a lot of tools. Alternately you could do what everyone did before there were commercial attachments and make pinky rests out of rope thimbles.

It takes a bit of cutting an filing to form them, then attachment can be problematic. The best way may be to use small screws. A hose clamp would work but seems like it would get in the way.

People have also formed pinky rests with epoxy putty. I'm not sure of the durability, but it would be easy to do and could be sculpted to whatever shape/size you like.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby Charley » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:29 pm

Nice, Matt. As soon as I have the cash flow.

I've seen the Grivel attachment, going to order a couple to see if I can mod them. I have a pair of Aztars, with a fairly basic handle, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed something will fit. I've also considered some braided wire around a curved spike, then strong tape to cover and protect it, molded around and to the grip.

What's the orientation of the thimble image you have below? Having trouble envisioning it, how it would align and stand up to contact with ice.
-Wo xiang mei er, mei xin, bian shi tou-
Charley

Postby chossmonkey » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:34 pm

Charley wrote:
What's the orientation of the thimble image you have below? Having trouble envisioning it, how it would align and stand up to contact with ice.

Cut and discard the reddened part. File so it is rounded to your liking. Attach to your ice tool. A little rubber dip or splicing tape would cut the cold and keep it from getting slippery.

Wire_Rope_Thimble.jpg
Wire_Rope_Thimble.jpg (53.55 KiB) Viewed 4791 times
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby Murph » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:20 pm

-"Why do this instead of a 5.13 sport climb?"
-"Cause this is way more bitch!n'"
Matt Segal, The sharp end
Murph

Postby *Chris* » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:11 pm

Matt Peck wrote:I found a really good pinky rest for my old vipers that should work for you, here's what I did:. I took my old axes, savored the memories, and then threw them the $#(@ in the trash. Then I went out and picked up this new attachment, I think they're called Nomics. Worked great ever since.
That was funny. Nice work Pecker! :wink:
*Chris*

Postby Matt Peck » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:41 pm

No probs, Just spreading the word. You know you make good equipment when the direct competition makes a DIRECT clone of your stuff.
Hows the ice north of here? NS is is fleeting, ephemeral, and allergic to forming on my days off.
You can't take the sky from me.
Matt Peck

Return to Gear