Old Ropes

Lost gear? Selling? Donating? Questions?

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Old Ropes

Postby *Chris* » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:26 am

I read this and puked in my mouth a little bit. If you're thinking about whether or not it's time to retire that old battered rope, this might make your decision a little more easy. [cough] Adam [/cough]
*Chris*

Re: Old Ropes

Postby Adam » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:01 am

*Chris* wrote:I read this and puked in my mouth a little bit. If you're thinking about whether or not it's time to retire that old battered rope, this might make your decision a little more easy. [cough] Adam [/cough]

I'm getting better at retiring them... my current lead is less than a year old. but there's still some life left in those old beals i swear! good for gagetown whips ;)
Adam

Postby martha » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:20 pm

Guilty.

Also, make sure when you retire your old cords that you cut them up into unusable lenghts... otherwise you might see them out at the crag with somebody else (eh Jamie? LOL)

gah. Fred and I desperately need a new rope.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby STeveA » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:28 pm

The big problem is when the ropes start to loose their stretch. A rope with 10% stretch will give about 6KN of forces to the system. Any less stretch and the forces go up. As ropes age they get weaker and loose their stretch, creating a double wammee.
You are, therefore I am. That is the question....
STeveA

Return to Gear