ice screws

Lost gear? Selling? Donating? Questions?

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Re: ice screws

Postby chossmonkey » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:45 pm

BD for 10's and 13's

360's for 16's and 20's

BD makes good screws, but the 360's work in places the BD screws won't.

People say the 360's don't rack worth a crap, but they are just doing it wrong.

Rack them all individually on your draws. Wiregates work better than round stock gates. If you normally put your draws so the gate faces in just give it a flip once you attach it to your harness.

Unless the ice is thin I normally have at least four on my harness. At someplace like Pont Rouge where you can get really long screws in the tops of the pillars and dagggers I carry a full rack of them.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby Fred » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:53 am

I say get some of both. They are equally good.

But don't waste your money on anything else :)
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Richard Eh! » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:21 am

I agree with both Nathan and Fred. Unfortunately you can't get stubbies or thirteens in the G360s. There are those who curse the 360s citing racking issues but my contention there is that they never have taken the time to really work with them. It's true that if you are used to only racking BDs the 360s will seem "friggy" but once you have a system worked out, they are SOOOO much quicker in and out. You can also place them between icicles (think "ice crevices") where , with a BD, you would be required to chop away enough of a circumference of ice to allow you to sufficiently twist the hanger around to fully seat the screw (you can screw in 360s with the handle angled out from the ice). Also, with the 360s there are no issue with the little BD knob twisting up the palm of your glove or causing premature wear......
If'n ya think ya can, ya can! If'n ya think ya can't, yer right....!
Richard Eh!

Postby *Chris* » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:18 pm

PanPipe.jpg
PanPipe.jpg (14.58 KiB) Viewed 4293 times
As for racking the 360's... I used this nice little sling of Anderfo's over the weekend and it was SLICK! It's probably pricey and hard to find but it's a nice way to rack. I wonder if it would be hard to make a home-made version out of an old gear sling and some stiff rubber piping?
*Chris*

Postby Adam » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:59 pm

*Chris* wrote:
PanPipe.jpg
As for racking the 360's... I used this nice little sling of Anderfo's over the weekend and it was SLICK! It's probably pricey and hard to find but it's a nice way to rack. I wonder if it would be hard to make a home-made version out of an old gear sling and some stiff rubber piping?

i'm pretty sure we could rig one up pretty cheaply. i've already been thinking about it :)

i'm thinking pvc piping
Adam

Postby chossmonkey » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:40 pm

The 360's do come in a 12cm length, MEC just doesn't carry it. There are times when they would be nice but most of the time I find the BD ones work okay for thin ice. The problem with the 12cm 360's is that when the handle is folded over there isn't much thread left to start the screw. If you fold the handle out then it can be hard to start the screw.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Return to Gear