Fixed Gear

Lost gear? Selling? Donating? Questions?

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Fixed Gear

Postby Fred » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:19 am

This is why yo don't TR on fixed gear. I had to lower on a bunch of these in Owens River Gorge. LOL
Attachments
105951094_medium_344bdb.jpg
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Fixed Gear

Postby Fred » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:22 am

Luckily the FIXE rap-ring stations aren't as susceptible to this kind of wear because they are a perfect circle and rotate to prevent wear in the same spot. However, D-shape gear such as chain links, carabiners, and open shuts like the one in the photo force the rope in the same spot every time.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Burley » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:00 pm

F I A C K ! ! !

Just think... someone was the last person to rap off that... yummy!
Burley

Postby chossmonkey » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:31 pm

Worn Super Shuts actually test higher than new ones. The grove keeps the rope from sliding to the front and bending open the hook under high loads.

How worn they can be and still have good specs is anyone's guess though. The sharp edges are another story with a less happy ending. I forget where I saw the test data.

But yeah people shouldn't TR or do multiple lower offs through the gear. A lot of people think it is fine to lead a route then flip their rope through open anchors like that and lower off because they are not TRing.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby anderfo » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:53 pm

Wow that didn't look pretty. I wonder how old it is...!

At the rope gym in my town, we have fixe clip-in carabiners at the top, 2 of them at each anchor, and they have been used for lowering and toproping continuously from about 4p till 10pm every night for many years. Of course they are checked quite often, but they have never looked like this.
They look like this except we have two biners (one on each bolt) instead of a chain and only one biner.
We use them also at our sport crags and some of them have been on very popular routes (where you have to stay in a queue before climbing) since 1994 and they still look nice. So nobody ever thinks about rapping off instead of lowering, as long as the anchor looks OK - and it normally does.

However using those biners for lowering and toproping requires that people actually make sure that they still do not look like the one you have shown here.
A bunch of photos
My home crag is Hell (and, yes, I've seen Hell freezing over...)
anderfo

Postby Fred » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:10 am

You need fine sand on the rope to get these results which is why it doesn't typically happen in gyms, granite cliffs and limestone cliffs. More likely to happen with sandstone.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby chossmonkey » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:19 am

I find it is more what the base of the cliff is like than the type of rock. Granted the type of rock generally dictates how much grit there is at the base to be picked up from the rope.

It should also be a reminder to folks to wash their rope after visiting places like the Red.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby martha » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:00 pm

I rapped off some shite like that in Vegas. my feet touching the ground was the best ever.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby *Chris* » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:05 pm

I swear Fred or Martha posts that pic every spring. Who'd you catch TRing through the anchor this time?
*Chris*

Postby Fred » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:37 pm

I didn't see anyone...

Sorry if I've posted this before, I didn't remember.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby martha » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:58 pm

I'm sure I've never posted that pic, but I have chewed people out for TR'ing through anchors before. :lol: :lol:

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby anderfo » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:03 pm

Probably not necessary at Welsford or similar places where wearing out the anchor will take 100+ years :)
A bunch of photos
My home crag is Hell (and, yes, I've seen Hell freezing over...)
anderfo

Postby *Chris* » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:17 pm

Yep... guess I was wrong. Found only 1 thread and it was a slightly different photo. My apologies.
*Chris*

Postby martha » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:58 am

wow, reading my olds posts... I've really mellowed in the last few years and since having kids. ;) MF was only a tiny baby in that thread and I was feisty!

Gosh, I miss that woman!

martha

Postby STeveA » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:25 pm

If you climb at Rumney, NH you will notice that most of the top anchors look like the photo. Very scarry. In addition a lot of the nuts are loose and can be hand tightened.
You are, therefore I am. That is the question....
STeveA

Return to Gear