foam replacement for old pads

Lost gear? Selling? Donating? Questions?

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

foam replacement for old pads

Postby stoneseeker » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:06 pm

hey ya crazy lot.
I've heard from several of you that you knew of a place to order foam replacement for climbing pads. COuld I get some suggestions and numbers of places to call?
Does anyone know of a place in town that you can get foam cheapish? surely in burnside someone sells some pretty similar stuff?
I need to get some before I head out to Squamish in August... So if anyone wants in on an order, post here as well, and I'll get it with my order to help save on shipping costs.

thnks in advance
~ Lukey
stoneseeker

Re: foam replacement for old pads

Postby Quinn » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:10 pm

Hey Luke,

I have an old pad I wouldn't mind revitalizing, so if you find a suitable option I wouldn't mind getting in on an order. Maybe Mick can provide some insight from his experience with the CNS gym pads?
Quinn

Postby Scooter » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:20 pm

Whatever you do, do not go to Comfort Foam in Burnside --- major ripoff. This is where we got the foam for the GZ pad and it was way over priced.

We ended up ordering foam online from http://www.foambymail.com/
Scott.R
Scooter

Postby mick » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:33 pm

I've actually dealt with FoamByMail twice, once to buy acoustic insulating foam for a friend's home studio, and once to buy foam for the new CNS Rock Court pad. Both times the price was far lower than anything I could find around here or anywhere else online, the service was friendly, and the shipping was fast.

The Rock Court pad contains a 1" thick topsheet of 2.2lb density Closed Cell Polyethylene Foam and an additional 5" of 2.0lb/ft^3 Lux Firm Open Cell Foam with an ILD of 50 lbs. The FoamByMail Rock Court foam is of higher quality than the ComfortFoam foam that's inside the Ground Zero CNS crash pad because we tried to source GZ's foam locally and it was the best we could find. Next time you are in the Rock Court feel free to zip open the pad and check it out.

I'd say the best bet for revitalizing a dropzone-sized (41"x48") pad would be half of a custom sized firm 3" high quality Lux mattress 2.8lb/ft^3 ILD:58lbs ($141.04 for 48"x82") and a half sheet of polyethylene 2.2lb closed cell 1" foam ($38.99 for 108"x24") plus shipping and US exchange.

So for two pads it would be US$219.02 plus exchange and shipping but I dare say the foam would be at least, if not better, than Organic foam. To get it all here you'd probably be paying CDN$150 per pad if you wanted the very best foam.

mick
mick

Postby stoneseeker » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:57 pm

hey they even have free shipping on orders over $75. sweet, thanks for the info guys.
Quinn, I'll contact you before I order.
Is there by chance a cheaper alternative for the soft foam on the bottom? what is required of the foam in terms of weight and cushion...
The top piece (and the cheaper of the two) seems more important.
Is there a second rate-but not so bad foam alternative for the 3 inch bottom??
~ Lukey
stoneseeker

Postby Scooter » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:41 am

At that price why not just buy a new pad? Organic, anyone?
Scott.R
Scooter

Postby Scooter » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:42 am

n/m i should read more carefully.
Scott.R
Scooter

Postby mick » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:37 am

There are lots of different grades of foam available at FoamByMail, but you generally get what you pay for. The price in my last quote was for Cadillac-grade foam; far better than the foam that came with your Drop Zone when you bought it. You could go with 1.7lb closed cell and 2.0lb ILD:40 open cell for a cheaper solution that would still be at least as good as a new BD pad, but maybe not quite as awesome as Organic's foam.
mick

Postby stoneseeker » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:54 am

Hey Quinn, I fired you an e-mail.
I'm going to place an order when I know what dimensions you need.
~ Lukey
stoneseeker

Postby cstamp » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:20 pm

Luke I want in on that. I have a blue black diamond pad too.
cstamp

Postby stoneseeker » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:11 pm

My pad is an old "Flashed" with dimensions of 36" x 53" x 3" thick.
I am waiting on a quote for my pad and Quinns, (larger pad) so hopefully between the two of our pads, I can give a pretty accurate estimate of how much it will cost you to join our order.
What is the dimensions of your pad, Stamp?
I'll let you know what its gonna cost us as soon as I get an e-mail back. I talked to them today and it sounds like its gonna be roughly
$75 for mine, and around $120 for Quinns larger pad, all before taxes and border fee and shipping.
If its not worth it and too expensive after all the crap on top, I'm just gonna order a new small Organic pad instead, in which case I'll post here and see if anyone else wants in on that order.
~ Lukey
stoneseeker

Postby mick » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:16 pm

Hey Luke,

I need to replace my Dropzone foam - I think I remember you telling me you found a good deal locally. How is it holding up and how much/where did you get it?
mick

Postby jeremy benjamin » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:46 pm

Hey Mick, depending on the cost I am also interested in new foam for a drop-zone. Let me know what you figure out, maybe I can go in on the new foam with you.

I think Luke's local solution was to take the foam from another old pad and double stuff it into his old pad. Probably not the solution you are looking for.
jeremy benjamin

Postby Scooter » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:59 am

Stamp double stuffed as well and it works well... limited space for gear and what not when carrying.

Buy an Organic and you won't have to worry about this ;)
Scott.R
Scooter

Postby jeremy benjamin » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:46 pm

Scooter wrote:Stamp double stuffed as well

Why do references to your love life surface so frequently on here.
jeremy benjamin

Postby Scooter » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:56 am

i was waiting for someone to comment and somehow knew it would be you

we view the climbing community as our family and and feel there not need be any curtains
Scott.R
Scooter

Return to Gear