Shipping to Calais

Lost gear? Selling? Donating? Questions?

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Shipping to Calais

Postby gwa » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:35 am

Hey,

I'm looking at ordering some gear from Vermont. Shipping within the US is much cheaper than sending to Canada. I have heard that there is a company in Calais that accepts packages for a fee. Has anyone used this service recently? Did it work out well for you?

Cheers,
Graham
gwa

Re: Shipping to Calais

Postby theriault » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:13 pm

I'll fill you in on it tonight at my place if your still coming, I've shipped stuff to Calais a bunch of time!
Marty
theriault

Postby Dom » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:27 pm

gwa wrote:Shipping within the US is much cheaper than sending to Canada.

Also, when you ship from the US to Canada, You have to pay the the custom brokerage service fee which is quite substantial unless you ship with USPS.
So much rock, so little time
Dom

Postby Shawn B » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:13 pm

pm me graham...preferably thru email if you still have my addy. if not...here but i don't login much so might be a while replying.
Safety third!!!
Shawn B

Postby Adam » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:38 pm

there's a place in Houlton as well that provides the same service.
Adam

Postby Stan » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:28 pm

Could you enlighten me, plz?
Stan

Postby granite_grrl » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:13 am

Dom wrote:

Also, when you ship from the US to Canada, You have to pay the the custom brokerage service fee which is quite substantial unless you ship with USPS.

I think that this is only a problem with UPS, companies like FedEx area still cool.
granite_grrl

Postby chossmonkey » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:03 am

granite_grrl wrote:
Dom wrote:

I think that this is only a problem with UPS, companies like FedEx area still cool.

You would still need to pay duty. But yeah, I think its just UPS that really bends you over with "brokerage fees".

As Dom suggested, United States Postal Service (USPS) is usually the best way to go.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby Ken P » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:24 am

FedEx uses internal brokerage keeping the cost relatively low. Often, when online shopping - if you add a message in the "Comment" box such Merry Christmas, Happy Birthday etc. your shipment will be classified as a gift shipment. It's not fool proof, but at this time of year customs is bombarded with gift shipments/online shopping. I have had good luck with all carriers. Only issue I have ever had is when the shipment transfers to Canada Post. If you have time to run to Houlton you avoid all of this, plus you will likely get free shipping anywhere in the US.

Ken
Ken P

Return to Gear