Difference between the Petzl Basic and Croll

Lost gear? Selling? Donating? Questions?

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Difference between the Petzl Basic and Croll

Postby pulldown » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:40 am

Any one know what the major difference between the Petzl Basic and Croll are?

I'm looking to make ascending ropes a little easier for developing routes and shooting videos. I believe the Croll is the device of choice for all the RAT guys and i've used one once but a long time ago. The two devices look extremely similar, and i can't find a comparison of the two devices. Petzl says that the basic can be used to self belay on a fixed line but doesn't say that about the Croll. I'm not really planning on doing much self belaying but it would be nice to have the most versatile device.

Todd
pulldown

Re: Difference between the Petzl Basic and Croll

Postby *Chris* » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:17 pm

Hi Pulldown:

A few years back I got a Croll 2nd hand in a package of other assorted odds and ends. In a nutshell, I've found it to be a fairly limited tool. It's absolutely a purpose built device and if you plan on jugging long, free hanging lines... it's the ticket. That said, I doubt you'll find it's the best for your application. It must be worn with a chest harness (easily rigged with cord or whatever).

When I set out to shoot photos from a fixed line I never use it. I much prefer a single jug paired with a gri gri. I described my rig in another thread if you're interested. (Don't be put off by the title... read on). I find that it is highly advantageous to quickly transition from going up to down... and you just can't do that with a Croll. If you ever shoot with prime lenses you'll certainly know what I mean. (You've got to zoom yourself in our out instead of zooming the lens). Maybe it's just that I'm lousy at predicting where the best shot will be but I like to be mobile. I use the exact same rig when cleaning/bolting new lines, the flexibility is way more important than simple upwards efficiency.

If you think you're still interested than I'd probably sell you mine... but that wasn't much of a sales pitch. Cheers.
*Chris*

Postby chossmonkey » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:50 pm

If the primary use is jugging a handled ascender and Grigri are the way to go. The basic does not have a handle and will make for miserable jugging. The grigri allows for quick decending while on the line over using two ascenders.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby pulldown » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:00 am

I have used the single Jumar and GriGri setup to clean routes. It works quite well for moving up and down in small bursts, starting and stopping. What i really need is a system that allows me to move longer distances with less effort. I find it gets a bit taxing pulling the line through the GriGri cause i tend to use 11mm static line when cleaning routes.

Thanks for the Responses. I'm always interested in hearing about other people systems and techniques.

Still looking for anyone who knows the difference between the Croll and the Basic.

Todd
pulldown

Postby *Chris* » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:10 am

Ok...
Sorry to overlook the essence of your question. I believe the biggest functional difference is that the Croll's top biner hole is orientated 90 degrees from the Basic's. This allows it to attach to a chest harness in a way that allows the Croll to sit flush against a person's chest. I expect this allows cavers to wiggle in and out of nooks and crannies (or whatever they do down there?) without the device fetching up on everything it comes into contact with.
*Chris*

Postby pulldown » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:45 am

So i guess the next question is: are the Croll and Basic interchangeable. Can the Basic be used with the chest harness setup and can the Croll be use as a "Self Belay" on a fixed line?

Except for the top slot they look essentially the same.

Thoughts?

Todd
pulldown

Postby Eager » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:43 pm

Todd

The Croll is designed specifically as a chest ascender, if this is your intended purpose ie ascending ropes I'd get the croll as that is what it's designed for. You should go over to RAT and they could show you the differences. I've tried using a basic in a chest harness configuration before and it doesn't work nearly as well. Petzl shows the self belay use with a one carabiner attachment to the harness minimizing the fall distance, but shock loading toothed ascenders on fixed lines is a definite no-no, and this wouldn't be my first choice of equipment to do this. It only takes 3.5 -4Kn of force before toothed ascenders start to do damage to ropes.
Hope this helps
Eager

Postby pulldown » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:06 pm

This has been very helpful. I was a bit skeptical of using the Basic or the Croll as a self belay because of the teeth. I just wanted to make sure i got the most versatile piece of gear. Nothing worse than having an expensive piece that never gets used.
pulldown

Return to Gear