Where the heck does a guy buy ice climbing boots in the East

Lost gear? Selling? Donating? Questions?

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Where the heck does a guy buy ice climbing boots in the East

Postby GKelly » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:45 pm

So MEC doesn't carry mountaineering boots in Halifax??? Where do y'all find your footwear?

Greg?
GKelly

Re: Where the heck does a guy buy ice climbing boots in the East

Postby theriault » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:46 pm

Online...
Marty
theriault

Postby Stacey » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:43 pm

MEC gear swap
''When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.''
~John Muir
Stacey

Postby GKelly » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:30 am

BALLS!!! And we simply hope they fit??? This is craziness!!! Out-right craziness!!!
Ok so it's not really THAT big of a deal. But kinda sucky.
GKelly

Postby Andrew » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:58 am

It sucks, yes. Like rock shoes, one could order 2-3 different sizes and then whichever fits keep and return the rest. For Mt.Boots that's gonna temp. cost you like 1500+, but sometime you gotta do it.

I ordered 3 pairs each of rock and approach shoes in the past year to get the right size and it was still cheaper and better 'service' than going to the place in freddy or driving to hfx.
Andrew

Postby theriault » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:01 am

Try other people's boots, make a lot of researche on the web sites, they usualy have pretty good "do it a home" foot measuring things.... good luck!
Marty
theriault

Postby Stacey » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:13 am

theriault wrote:Try other people's boots, make a lot of researche on the web sites, they usualy have pretty good "do it a home" foot measuring things.... good luck!

Yup - if you 'look' around , you'll find that most of the climbers around could cover you for any size/type of boots you'd be interested in .... then you'll know what size to look for... and sometimes - if you're at MEC Vancouver or somewhere that has a lot of variety - - try the different name brands, usually the bran fits the same in whatever range of boot they carry...so you'll know what size you are in Sportivas, Garmont, etc.
''When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.''
~John Muir
Stacey

Postby Shawn B » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:40 am

Alpenglow gear in Bangor..Orono actually...might have what you are looking for. It's no further to drive than MEC Hali. Otherwise next closest would be North Conway. I recommend IME. Small owner operated shop rather than the big multi store chains. Rick will usually match prices.
Safety third!!!
Shawn B

Postby chossmonkey » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:19 am

IME also has a consignment shop in the basement where you can sometimes find great deals on used boots.

The Mountaineer in Keene Valley at the Adirondacks is also a small owner operated shop with a great selection.

If its just your first pair get a set second hand off the MEC gear swap or similar online site.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby Lucas » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:14 pm

I got mine at Alpinglow in Orno, ME. The selection is the best I've ever seen for a climbing shop and they are willing to cut deals. Other than that go online...
Lucas

Return to Gear