Notchless Wiregates

Lost gear? Selling? Donating? Questions?

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Notchless Wiregates

Postby *Chris* » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:19 pm

Black Diamond is now manufacturing affordable notchless wiregates. Nice. Bout' time.
*Chris*

Re: Notchless Wiregates

Postby Dom » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:48 pm

It still has a notch. Looks like crap but probably works exactly like a notchless with the gimmicky ''stainless steel wire hood''.
So much rock, so little time
Dom

Postby *Chris* » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:16 pm

I think that the wire hood acts in the same way as the integrated hood on the WC Heliums. I understand the Heliums were an expensive process to forge. This looks like an equivalent solution to the snagging issue. We'll see I suppose.
*Chris*

Postby Murph » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:08 pm

At first glance this appeared to me as a "locking wiregate" where the wire around the notch could be moved to lock the gate in place. Regardless, this it is a clever way to reduce snagging and the cost.
-"Why do this instead of a 5.13 sport climb?"
-"Cause this is way more bitch!n'"
Matt Segal, The sharp end
Murph

Postby Adam » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:49 am

nothing like nestling your wire in a hooded notch.
Adam

Postby chossmonkey » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:11 pm

*Chris* wrote:I think that the wire hood acts in the same way as the integrated hood on the WC Heliums. I understand the Heliums were an expensive process to forge. This looks like an equivalent solution to the snagging issue. We'll see I suppose.

The design also leaves a place for ice and other debris to clear through. Good solid gated notchless biners have a hole in the back of the gate to do the same.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby Leehammer » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:31 pm

Not sure if anyone has seen this

Looks like kind of a cool idea but probably irritating as hell to rack.
Leehammer

Postby Murph » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:37 pm

You could do the same thing with a short twig that you can find on the ground to hold the gate open. That's if you remember to do this before leaving the ground and don't pop it out on your way up or if you. I guess the same would apply to this set up. Also, the trigger would likely get snagged on things if the biner is inverted. I would be worried that the rope would slice the if it got snagged between the trigger and the spine. Too gimmicky for me.
Attachments
madrock.JPG
-"Why do this instead of a 5.13 sport climb?"
-"Cause this is way more bitch!n'"
Matt Segal, The sharp end
Murph

Postby Brian! » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:18 am

I bought one of these in December. I haven't used it yet (not cool/rich enough for ice gear), but it looks pretty groovy. I got tired of using twigs for stick clipping and fighting so the biner would actually clip the bolt.

The "trigger" part is spring loaded, so it will always lay flush with the side of the spine or holding the gate open. Short of getting a magic twig in there it's not going to snag any ropes. I find it's a really solid design and don't understand why it hasn't come out until now, but then again, I'm weird and enjoy ease more than I enjoy $10. I guess that makes me a gimmicky climber.
Brian!

Postby chossmonkey » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:27 am

Brian! wrote:I find it's a really solid design and don't understand why it hasn't come out until now, but then again, I'm weird and enjoy ease more than I enjoy $10. I guess that makes me a gimmicky climber.

It has been done several times before. Its a slightly different design but the same concept.

It is just too specialized and unnecessary so they never stick around very long. They were first intended to make hard clips easier. The down side was having to reload the biner each time which usually ended up being much harder than the clip.

As to stick clipping, why not just build a real stick clip with a painters pole or light bulb changing pole and spring clamp? For sport climbing I never go to the crag without it.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Return to Gear