maillons/quick links

Lost gear? Selling? Donating? Questions?

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

maillons/quick links

Postby Dom » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:45 am

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone has a source for cheap maillons.

I usually used the ones maillons rapides they sell at Mec http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441931857&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302691197 These are crazy strong but are 3$ each.

I have been told you can get cheaper ones at Hardware stores but went looking yesterday and the cheapest I found was 2.75$ and was rated for 1550lbs. Now that doesn't seem like it's worth it.
Also, what's the lowest Safety working load I could get? To me 1550lbs seems awfully low but I know that the SWL is not the actual breaking strength. These will be used on anchors. My set up is basically hanger-maillon-chain link. My chain link is rated for 2700 lbs.

Moreover, I don't care if it's non stainless because SS maillons are really expensive, and I can always easily change maillons if they get too rusted. I believe that the mixing of metal will only affect (accelerate corrosion) the maillon and not the SS bolt/ hanger combo. If you're a metallurgist, an engineer or a ''I know everything and should go on Jeopardy person'' please confirm this.

Thanks,
So much rock, so little time
Dom

Re: maillons/quick links

Postby Fred » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:06 pm

Dom:

It's my understanding that only the non stainless maillon would be affected by accelerated corrosion since it is a lower potential metal.

I'm not up to speed on current pricing but in the past I couldn't buy mailons localy for what MEC sells them for. Same goes for Hilti bolts. I think MEC subsidizes fixed gear to keep the price low. I duno...

Fred
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Dom » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:19 pm

Someone wrote:Dom, why cheap out an go with non stainless for the quick link? I understand that they're easy to switch out (assuming they aren't rusted shut, which tends to happen depending on how long you let them go for), but now you're buying a second non stainless quick-link. Isn't a single stainless one cheaper than two or three non stainless?

Just want to clarify that this is being done as part of the rebolting efforts.

Ideally, I'd install stainless but just don't have the $ for it . 7$ for a crappy SS link, 10$ for a better one. Based on the mild steel hardware found at Welsford I estimate that these quick links will be safe for a good 10-15 years. Since people might lower off them anyways they might get used up by other ways than corrosion. So they can be replaced then at a fraction of the SS price. Heck, maybe someone else than me might replace them then and that would be cheaper :mrgreen:

Also, I'd love to install more SS fix rap rings but we ran out :(. We should get 4 more tonight but have a bunch of anchors to install. We do have some hangers though, hence why I wanna use Quick-links set-up with a chain link.

These anchors will be installed on routes to replace/relieve some dead/dying trees.
So much rock, so little time
Dom

Postby Fred » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:20 pm

I thought the $4 Fixe maillons from MEC were stainless?

The cheapest, best, and most durable solution for an anchor is to use the Fixe rap rings with Hilti 3/8" KB3 which I'm sure you know already. However, in some situations anchors may need to be extended over a lip using a chain in which case standard bolt hangers can be used and the chain is secured with maillons.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby chossmonkey » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:07 am

Fred wrote:I thought the $4 Fixe maillons from MEC were stainless?

It would only make sense wouldn't it? But they are not.

I have also found the best place to get quicklinks is MEC. They are rated and cost about the same as the crappy unrated hardware store links.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby bobmirko » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:30 am

Just be aware that with cheap maillons you can get more risk of galvanic corrosion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_corrosion

I saw that on some bolts here when people used cheap metal maillons to go down. Also, I think you are more exposed to this because of the salt in the air in NB... not sure on this...

Hope this help!
bobmirko

Return to Gear