Flying with a Rack

Lost gear? Selling? Donating? Questions?

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Flying with a Rack

Postby *Chris* » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:04 pm

I'd like to know what experiences folks have had flying with their racks as carry-on baggage. I will obviously check the hooks and the wall hammer... but cams, nuts, draws, and rope?

50lbs is the max allowed for checked baggage and that ain't a lot. I've heard experience from US domestic travelers that racks are always inspected... but never a problem... but I wonder about local experiences from local airports.

Cheers.
*Chris*

Re: Flying with a Rack

Postby Holly Reid » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:57 pm

Hey Chris,
As you know, I don't have a lot of gear but I have flown with harness, cams, draws, belay device, nut tool, etc. carry on and haven't had any problems (out of Halifax). Usually security is more curious than anything else (same goes for traveling with a crash pad... a lot of looks, and occasionally further inspection by TSA, but no problems). Carry on allowance is far less than checked (10kg usually) and it doesn't take long to add up; that said, on my latest trip I was over that amount and didn't have any problems.
Holly Reid

Postby PeterA » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:29 pm

I've flown with harness and biners and such before. Haven't flown with a full rack, but they havent given me any problems with the gear that I have flown with (harness, shoes, helmet, biners, atc). Usually if I'm going to be traveling with gear, I'll throw a climbing magazine in with it too, whether it's in the carry on bag or the check bag. Helps with the explanations a lot

-PJ
PeterA

Postby Greg » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:58 pm

I have flown with a full rack a few times and never had any problems - just strange looks and a couple of questions. They seemed to be more concerned with my 15ml tube of toothpaste than the rack :lol:
Greg

Postby granite_grrl » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:07 am

PeterA wrote:I've flown with harness and biners and such before. Haven't flown with a full rack, but they havent given me any problems with the gear that I have flown with (harness, shoes, helmet, biners, atc). Usually if I'm going to be traveling with gear, I'll throw a climbing magazine in with it too, whether it's in the carry on bag or the check bag. Helps with the explanations a lot

-PJ

I have never taken climbing gear on my carry-on, but this seems like a really good idea.
granite_grrl

Postby *Chris* » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:56 pm

Thanks. I'm probably going to head to the airport sometime beforehand with the full rack to discuss with security folks.
*Chris*

Postby Shawn B » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:18 pm

your biggest issue will the the weight limit for carry on. i think it is 20 or 25 lbs. i always check mine. no issues. weight limit of 50 lbs per bag is a pain though when going away to do something fun.
Safety third!!!
Shawn B

Return to Gear