Buying gear...

Lost gear? Selling? Donating? Questions?

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Postby thicks » Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:40 pm

Bouldering is cheap, i mean, except for the plan ticket to Australia. But still probably less expensive than gearing up for ice season.

I think mitch had a point.
T
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way, so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me. -- Emo Philips
thicks

Postby PaulB » Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:19 pm

excited newbie wrote:Anyway, whats the price range for boots? this sport is a little too expensive for me i think.

Most good ice/winter boots are in the $400-$600 range, but they are the single best place to spend your money. If you have to, buy a set of cheap "old school" tools (Black Prophets, Pulsars, etc.) so that you can get good boots. Warm and comfortable feet will make the whole ice climbing experience much more fun.

Investing in a good belay jacket with a hood is also worth the cost. You won't care how good or bad your tools feel if you're slowly going hypothermic while belaying your partner.

Check out Will Gadd's ice climbing book, it has lots of good advice.
PaulB

Postby martha » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:55 am

the MEC fall line Bib pants are kick ass. gortex and bibbed, so you can still climb with no jacket on warm days and won't get water up your back.

also they have a full side and crotch zip, so escaping them is easy, as are bathroom trips.

good boots, warm dry clothing, and a down jacket for belays.... all things that will make your ice climbing experience a good one. Good ice climbing gloves are key too, but even they won't keep the screaming barfies at bay on cold days.

Cheers.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby The Teth » Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:17 pm

The least expensive way to get geared up for ice climbing is to find a woman who is your size and has all the best ice climbing equipment, but is too busy taking course work for her masters to actually go out herself. Then you marry her and borrow her gear. Worked for me. If you happen to be in Reno anyway, it is cheaper than bouldering. (About $115 US for the licence, service, and paperwork.)

The Teth
The Teth

Postby mathieu » Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:58 pm

Here's another tip on buying cheap gear. If it says "Ice climbing" on it don't buy it, simply find the equivalent thing and pay up to 50% cheaper. That is moslty true for gloves and jackets. Shop the second hand store for a down jacket an try to find old ski doo mitts. Don't get Black diamond gloves or anything fancy like that when you start, just get something that's warm. And if you have snow pants those will do fine, I went 4 years usng my snowboard pants before getting gore-tex pants (which I rarely wear in the rockies).

Just shop smart or do like Teth and find a woman who's all equiped.
mathieu

Previous

Return to Gear