drill

Lost gear? Selling? Donating? Questions?

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

drill

Postby Adam » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:06 pm

decent deal on a used drill and 2 batteries for $350.

http://www.mec.ca/Apps/outdoorGearSwap/ ... y_cd=Other
Adam

Re: drill

Postby chossmonkey » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:27 pm

It probably wouldn't work the best in granite. I'm not going to go look up the specs, but I'm pretty sure that model would pale in comparison to other drills you could pick up second hand of similar price.

If you were drilling limestone it wouldn't be as big of an issue.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby Dom » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:23 pm

This is what I use. 8 holes in granite per battery.
So much rock, so little time
Dom

Postby chossmonkey » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:26 pm

Interesting.

Bec was talking with the rep at the Hilti store and they didn't think it would work well in granite. They suggested the TE4 or TE6. The TE2 only has 1.1ft-lbs of impact energy as the other two have 1.5ft-lbs. The Bosch GBH36 has 1.8.

All said it is probably equivalent or better than the first generation Bosch Bulldog which worked pretty well.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby Dom » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:25 pm

It's definitely a small roto drill but still works well. Having a sharp bit is quite important. I'll do about 40 holes or so and then toss the bit.
So much rock, so little time
Dom

Postby GKelly » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:36 pm

The guys at hilti likely have the construction mindset. With such you should be using tools that are slightly larger than necessary to get the job done fast and efficiently without excessive wear on the tools. This doesn't make a lot of sense in climbing where you have to lug the thing around all day.
GKelly

Postby chossmonkey » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:53 pm

Actually the TE 4 weighs a pound less and the TE6 is only a half pound heavier. The Bosch is an anorexic 2lbs lighter. Personally if I'm drilling on lead or on a steep wall I want my drill to punch out a hole as fast as possible.

From what Domenic is saying it doesn't sound like a bad drill, I'm just sayin that for what $ they are asking there are better options for not much more.
chossmonkey

Return to Gear