Best Ice Screws

Lost gear? Selling? Donating? Questions?

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Best Ice Screws

Postby Stacey » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:12 pm

Opinion time please...what are the 'best' screws and the most user friendly to place :?: :!:

thanks
''When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.''
~John Muir
Stacey

Re: Best Ice Screws

Postby Dom » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:37 pm

The ones my ice climbing partners own. :mrgreen:

I like BD the best.
So much rock, so little time
Dom

Postby *Chris* » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:32 pm

Black Diamond. Far easier to get initially started... and that's all that matters. I have 2 Grivels with the coat-hanger attachment that I had sent away to convert to a BD tooth profile. They fit into the odd place that a BD hanger won't go... but that can be fixed with a bit of ice 'grooming' before you try and make the placement.
*Chris*

Postby Stacey » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:23 am

Thanks guys! I appreciate it! :D
''When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.''
~John Muir
Stacey

Postby granite_grrl » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:17 am

*Chris* wrote:Black Diamond. Far easier to get initially started... and that's all that matters. I have 2 Grivels with the coat-hanger attachment that I had sent away to convert to a BD tooth profile. They fit into the odd place that a BD hanger won't go... but that can be fixed with a bit of ice 'grooming' before you try and make the placement.

"Grooming" sucks (at least on a heavy scale). While the new BD screws are pretty awesome, there's no way I'd take my Grivel 360s off my rack.
granite_grrl

Postby Stacey » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:37 pm

granite_grrl wrote: While the new BD screws are pretty awesome, there's no way I'd take my Grivel 360s off my rack.

Thanks Rebecca
I used the grivels this past weekend, and I have to admit they were great... can't imagine racking the whole set though?

I'm borrowing a friends rack for the rest of the season...that'll be the test for what I buy :lol:
~John Muir
Stacey

Postby granite_grrl » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:01 pm

Stacey wrote:
granite_grrl wrote: While the new BD screws are pretty awesome, there's no way I'd take my Grivel 360s off my rack.

Thanks Rebecca
I used the grivels this past weekend, and I have to admit they were great... can't imagine racking the whole set though?

I'm borrowing a friends rack for the rest of the season...that'll be the test for what I buy :lol:

No, I wouldn't have a whole rack of them. Usually I only carry 4 or 6 (which could be all the rack you need for some areas, but that's another matter). I also only carry the two longer sizes. I also don't put them on my clippers but rack them individually on my draws.
granite_grrl

Postby Stacey » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:39 am

excellent suggestions !

I was thinking of just going for a rack of all the same screws but perhaps some variety might be good.
I like the idea of racking the grivel360s on their own quickdraws...with their bulk, it probably works well

thanks
~John Muir
Stacey

Postby JasonRain » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:42 am

The ones my ice climbing partners own.
JasonRain

Return to Gear