North

Lost gear? Selling? Donating? Questions?

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

North

Postby climberwannabe » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:47 pm

I am heading up north to Yellowknife and Iqaluit with one of our aircraft for a few days... anyone have any "must see's" while I am up there???
Mother nature: 1, climberwannabe: 0
climberwannabe

Postby Fred » Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:18 pm

Yes Please. Fly over in a straight line from St-Stephen to Pokiok NB and I bet you'll see boulders all through there. Might be hard to see with the leaves on the trees though.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby thicks » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:06 pm

I highly recommend the Black Knight in Yk. It isnt a boulder but a great pub. There is also some OK bouldering in town if you are interested, from what I was told during my 2year stay up there is that most of the decent cliffs are on lakes, so you need a boat for the approach. Also I am going to assume you know that good old YK is bear country, so if you decide to take a walk into the bush be prepared. Some amazing fishing up there though, but that is a post for a different message board.
T
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way, so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me. -- Emo Philips
thicks

Postby climberwannabe » Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:53 pm

thanks guys... I;ve heard of that pub before too!!

What was I thinking when I put this post in GEAR????? Crack is gettin me down.
climberwannabe

Postby Fred » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:38 am

LOL

I totaly misread your post. You must of thought my request was a little strange? hahahahaha

I thought you were asking us if WE had 'must sees' while you were flying over the country side. LOL
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Mountain_Marc » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:09 am

try to fly along the Aksayuk Pass on Baffin Island near Pangnirtung (one hour's flight from Iqaluit). It's the valley that connects Pangnirtung to Qikiqtarjuaq. I was there last summer and it's slimpy amazing on foot and i'm sure flying overhead would be pretty spectacular!

Not much to see in Iqaluit. Although Sylvia Grinnel Territorial park in pretty cool if you want to see some scenery while in town.
"You can't practice to be miserable. You're either good at it or you aren't."

"If a wife speaks in the woods, and her husband is not there to hear her...is she still wrong?"
Mountain_Marc

yep

Postby climberwannabe » Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:06 pm

Well I dont have much say in where we fly, as I am but a bearing for a cog in the big wheel. It sounds like now I wont have a lot of down time, and will be flying missions like 4 out of 5 days, at about 10 hrs a flight its going to suck. Hopefully we'll be low enough for me fill up my 1gb drive on my new camera. : (
climberwannabe

Postby dcentral » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:06 pm

climberwannabe wrote:What was I thinking when I put this post in GEAR????? Crack is gettin me down.

Aren't you a moderator now. Can't you just move this thread to general?
dcentral

YOU BETTER RESPECT MY ATHOR-ITTIE!!!

Postby climberwannabe » Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:36 am

Yeah maybe, but I dont know how to do it... still learning how to use this new fangled device... the computer. :oops:

Stevo
climberwannabe

Postby mike » Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:21 pm

Steve- who do I gotta blow to get on one of these flights?

Mike
mike

Postby thicks » Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:32 pm

Before you blow anyone mike, just thought I would letcha know that during my 2 years of Yellowknife days, there was an F-18 that crashed on a landing. pilot ejected and was not hurt, plane was recovered and fixed. Then one or two weeks later some players on the YK golf course, next door to the airport, saw something drop off another jet, turns out it was some type of missile. It just seemed to 'fall' off the plane(wasn’t armed nor was it a bomb, but a missile). Now i have heard of sand traps and water hazzards but missiles on a golf course bring a whole new level to the game...
Anyway I don’t have any idea what branch of the military these plans were from, but if I were you I would think twice before you try so hard to get on one of these flights.

Only in Yellowknife.....
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way, so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me. -- Emo Philips
thicks

Postby climberwannabe » Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:34 pm

haha, if you only knew what kind of maintenance was going on in the civilian air industry!!! You would BEG to get on a military flight.

Oh and Mike, it turns out that all the blowing I've been doing was in vain, my boss just told me it had nothing to do with getting a trip!! DAMN!!! Tequila anyone?
climberwannabe

Postby mike » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:41 pm

Phew- thanks for all the advise... I'd be feeling pretty sorry for myself right now if I had been taken advantage of by a bunch of flyboys for nothing.

Standing tall with manhood intact,

Mike
mike

Return to Gear