Beta for Climbing & Living in Chamonix

For all the motormouths who just need to spray.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Beta for Climbing & Living in Chamonix

Postby max » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:41 am

Since I have spend the past 3 weeks in Chamonix climbing and skiing I thought it would be appropriate to share a bit of beta on how to live cheap, ski and climb a bunch.

First getting to Chamonix is the first challenge: Ideally you get a flight to Geneva and then take the shuttle.
I found a return flight From Moncton to Paris for 933$ and found it cheaper to then find a domestic flight, $130 return, to Geneva which is about 1hr15mins shuttle to Chamonix costing around 12-14 Euro 16-18$Cdn.

Note: I have been living in my climbing partners van and not paying for any accommodation.

There are a few ways to live for free in Cham:
1 - There is a free climber shack but you have to find it.
2 - Find a van friend ;) there are loads of them!
3 - If you rent and car just live in it.
Places to park with no issues.... Gaiilands climbing parkings lot is easy... has bathrooms open from 8am-5pm.
Close to the train station under a bridge.... has good wifi

Food:
-Depending on your motivations you can jump in the trash bins and find some pretty good scores to compliment the staples you get at the store. Often times the folks in the climber cabin know the good bins that often provide excellent rewards for the dirt-bag climber/skier.
-Obviously there is the fresh bread, cheese and wine diet you can do for relative cheap as well.
-The shopping markets in Chamonix are expensive so being able to do a big shop out of the Valley will safe you a bunch of coin.

For easy free Wifi: there are numerous places but the easiest is Bar Savoy and Office Bar in Argentiere. The library in Chamonix is good too but you have to get there during hours of operation which is generally 2-6pm. The train/bus station in Chamonix is also a great option 24-7.

Showering:
You can often just walk into different hostels shower and leave. Depending on your motivations to save money you can always find out how much it costs.... note I paid for 1 shower and it cost 3 Euro which is 4$Cdn.

Lifts:
In terms of lifts, this has been the hardest part for me. I had a black market pass from someone that left and had it taken away... I got my money's worth out of it though. Fortunately one way lifts aren't to crazy if you climb in the Argentiere Basin, Grand Montet lift (24 Euro - 32$Cdn) and if you go up the Aiguilles du Midi it is 47 Euro - 63$Cdn. One advantage is if you go up the Midi you can camp on the Glacier and there is also a free hut you can stay in but have to bring all your sleeping gear. A one way pass up the Midi and pick up at the train in the Valley Blanche is 57 Euro - 80$Cdn which is pretty steep but worth doing.

Anyway for those heading to Cham PM me for more beta on some more controversial topics... hehehe
max

Re: Beta for Climbing & Living in Chamonix

Postby chossmonkey » Fri May 08, 2015 12:31 pm

Great beta!

One thing I have found about flights in and out of Europe from N.America is that its generally much cheaper to book a round trip ticket. When I fly into Geneva from Asia one ways are less expensive than buying round trip. To get home to Canada from Geneva I always end up buying a round trip and not using the return as it is far less expensive than a one way.

If you buy a round trip and don't use the second half you are generally able to at least get a refund on the taxes and fees for the second leg, even if the actual ticket is nonrefundable. For me from Geneva this generally ends up coming to around $200.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Return to General