Festi Glace

For all the motormouths who just need to spray.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Festi Glace

Postby Graham » Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:04 pm

Is anyone heading up to Festi Glace this year?
Graham

Postby martha » Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:49 pm

Man, it is awesome. don't expect to get to climb much though because it is really really busy that weekend.

Take the time to watch the competitions and go to all the slide shows and presentations.

last year I competed in the Amature Competition. it was so much fun!!!

I wish I was going this year, but likely next year I'll be there!
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Matt Peck » Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:32 pm

Dude, it is a cool show, but pretty dissapointing if you want to climb. There is lots of ice open, but you won't get on anything unless you can or know somebody that can lead WI hard.
You can't take the sky from me.
Matt Peck

Postby martha » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:15 am

However, I guess that Matt and I are both forgetting the wicked climbing at Chutes Montmorancy in Quebec City that is only about a 35 min drive from the Festiglace site.

It gets really really busy there though and again you have to be able to lead, though there are some grade 2+/3 lines there that are really nice and long. all multi pitch. The top out is the walking bridge across the top of the falls. Pretty funny watching people cheer you on and ask all sorts of questions about how the heck you go there!

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Graham » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:10 am

Yeah, I figure I'll be taking the one of the courses anyway so hopefully that will get me some ice time. I've only TR on ice so some profesional input on ice screws etc would probably save alot of hassel for the future. But it should be a good time, and there is free camping right at the sight so hopefully it shouldn't burden the bank balance too severely.
Graham

Postby Matt Peck » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:14 am

Yeah, the event is pretty fun. Listening to Conrad Anker last year was amazing. I couldn't get over all the cool stuff he is doing with the Khumbu climbing school. Once in a lifetime event. Pont Rouge was pretty cool too, though I would have liked to do some climbing there. Montmorency was amazing, and I would have liked to have spent more time there. Lots of leading going on this year. The place to stay is in the old hostel in Quebec City. Cheap and warm. Way better.
You can't take the sky from me.
Matt Peck

Postby jeremy » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:26 am

so IS anyone going? I'm thinking about it if we can get a few people going
jeremy

Postby Fred » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:58 am

I wouldn't go back. The slideshows were cool and all but the event is pretty boring to watch. Ice climbing is slow when you aren't the one in the action.

Chutes momo is wicked but leading only. There is no TR at all.

I'd like to go to the Riviere-du-Loup ice fest but the Quebec Ice cup 2006 was cancelled this year.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby martha » Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:08 pm

Fred wrote:I wouldn't go back. The slideshows were cool and all but the event is pretty boring to watch. Ice climbing is slow when you aren't the one in the action.

Awesome....so I won't have to find a baby sitter next year when I go! :wink: :wink:

martha

Postby climberwannabe » Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:02 pm

what are the dates??
Mother nature: 1, climberwannabe: 0
climberwannabe

Postby martha » Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:58 pm

hey Climberwannabe....

do you know how to search on the net? :lol:

Feb 17th-19th 2006

martha

Postby dcentral » Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:11 pm

Hahaha. The picture built into the nav on that site is awful.
dcentral

Postby climberwannabe » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:34 am

... just trying to make conversation!!!
Mother nature: 1, climberwannabe: 0
climberwannabe

Postby szymiec » Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:31 pm

Ok so last time i checked, Quebec was still a part of Canada. Just stop me right here if i am wrong.

If you look at the standings from the festglace website, you see that in all categories the winners are from Canada or Quebec(as well as some others of course). What gives with this? Is this the way the comps are ran in QUE?

Is it just me or is this a sad excuse at letting the rest of the word know that there are real climbers and climbs in Quebec? I mean of course there are, some of the best in both areas but this is just plain childish.

Is it a case of little big man or do the festiglace folks really feel that Canada and Quebec are different countries?

chris
alberta alpine climber now living in Halifax, Canada.
szymiec

Return to General