GPS Users: Lets map our climbing areas!

For all the motormouths who just need to spray.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

GPS Users: Lets map our climbing areas!

Postby szymiec » Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:34 pm

So, i just upgraded my google earth to the plus version. I just imported in all of my waypoints and i was quite impressed. Here is my day at Land of Confusion. The images are not print quality but they are fine for the web.

http://www.szymiec.com/images/LOC.jpg

I would love to get something going where we GPS folk (or even some of us who might know how to get a UTM location off of a map) to get together and help those less fortunate find some of these amazing boulders, waterfalls & cliffs. We could submit our locations along with a name of the area or something.

Being that i am a web site maker and a database thinker abouter, i could make sure the data is all in one easy to find place.

This technology is really out of this world(ouch) and i think we should get together and use it.

If i set up a little website would any of you all be interested in helping save the world one boulsder at a time?

chris
szymiec

Postby The Mitt » Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:39 pm

I think that is an outstanding idea, What datum are you going to use (most use NAD83, I think)? I believe I have some areas allready.

Mitt
The Mitt

Postby tracstarr » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:40 pm

if you check out my web site i have already started working on this. I've been trying to get people to send me info.... but nodda. I've got a few areas generally mapped out, but haven't done any gps importing yet as i dont' have one and was hoping that users would help provide. Working on a user interface to upload new areas. Also working on merging the CNS new route database into my site also (since i'm the one who did that site). Also planning on opening up the database to everyone for better usage. It will be concurrent on both my site and cns site. You enter on one you will see it on the other. anyway, no need to start up a new page for it, perhaps we can work together on getting one site to meet all the needs for the gps mapping.

check it out ... http://www.tracstarr.com/node/35 if you zoom out you'll see the few areas i have marked off.
tracstarr

Postby tracstarr » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:43 pm

i also use to have the little red google map markers on the map that showed most climbing locations in the area, i still have it on my server, but with my updating i didn't plavce them back on yet as i was working on the area maping as you see in the link above.
tracstarr

Postby szymiec » Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:00 pm

Well i have this google earth 'plus' thingy. If you all can send me some gps map files, i can import them into it and the points are right there.

I really like the 3d imagery that GE spits out. It makes LOC alot less C!
szymiec

Postby tracstarr » Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:25 pm

google eart is nice, but if i'm correct you have to pay for the gps service for mapping your points and it's also not very dynamic for web sites. you'd have to remake the images everytime you add new point don't you? (could be wrong)
tracstarr

Postby szymiec » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:07 am

Yeah, i dished out 20.00 for a year of GPS mapping. Not bad in my opinion since the Map Source that came with my Garmin is really useless. I have the topos for it but it is likely the worst program i have ever used.

I thought that it might be nice to have nice 3d views with all of the waypoints and trails marked. This could be a fun day out at LOC or where ever else.

I think that once a bouldering area is mapped, it would be fairly easy to add another point if a new spot was discovered. I would essentially keep a map file for each area(online as well) and then import it into GE, create a new image file and upload it. Hardly dynamic, but way too cool to ignore.

How should we start this in motion tracstarr? I could use my webspace if needed.
szymiec

Postby The Teth » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:02 am

There are some coordinates for cliffs on my site:

http://members.tripod.com/novascotiacli ... _info.html

Some of these coordinates are from older web sites and I am not certain of the datum used.

Teth
The Teth

Postby zig » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:12 pm

Chris E. and myself explored 2 spots deep in LOC. The first one yielded a few lines w/potential but nothing too spectacular. The 2nd one had nothing.
I started picking coord. off of Google Earth and using my GPS to navigate to them. Seems to still be some things in gullies that wouldn't appear on G.E.

here are the coord. for whoever is keeping track...
1- lat. 44.514522 deg., -63.924919 deg.

2- lat. 44.510759 deg., -63.897126 deg.

The hunt continues!
cheers,
Ghislain
zig

Return to General