Where to stay in the Daks??

For all the motormouths who just need to spray.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Where to stay in the Daks??

Postby granite_grrl » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:38 pm

Well, to heck with it!!! I've got myself some ice gear and I'm going to use it. I've planned to head down to the Daks this weekend and flail away, but I've no idea where to stay. Mountain_Marc, you know the Daks, what do you suggest? Any one else?

Rebecca
granite_grrl

Postby Mountain_Marc » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:18 pm

Hey,

I usually stay at "The Hostel" in Keene Valley. It's a really nice cozy place. The owners are really, really nice! They really helped me out a few weeks ago when I had car issues.

20$ US a night gets you a bed with linen, showers with towels, washer and dryer, full kitchen with everything you need, parking, etc.

Dave and Cynthia Johnston - 518.576.2030

They can give you directions to it. It's on Route 73 almost in front of the Noonmark Diner (if you know where that it)

Tell them Marc from Ottawa sent you ;)
"You can't practice to be miserable. You're either good at it or you aren't."

"If a wife speaks in the woods, and her husband is not there to hear her...is she still wrong?"
Mountain_Marc

Postby granite_grrl » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:01 pm

Thanks Mark, that's the kind of info I was looking for. Two more questions:

1) how do they feel aout people arriving at their door late at night? We were thinking of leave Fri evening, probably wouldn't get there till 11 or 12.

2) Do you know if they have any options for a couple who likes sharing a bed? I'm going down there with my boyfriend.

I'm trying to think where the Noonmark Diner is, I've only been in the area once last summer. Don't think I know it though.
granite_grrl

Postby Mountain_Marc » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:15 pm

If you're going to arrive late, I recommend making a reservation, just in case. They certainly don't have an issue with late arrivals.

If you have a reservation, you just go upstairs, look at the whiteboard to see which bed you have and go to sleep.

They have double beds for couples, but it's still in the same room as everyone else. So no fooling around :wink:

"If a wife speaks in the woods, and her husband is not there to hear her...is she still wrong?"
Mountain_Marc

Postby Mountain_Marc » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:18 pm

granite_grrl wrote:I'm trying to think where the Noonmark Diner is, I've only been in the area once last summer. Don't think I know it though.

It's about a kilometre (maybe a little less) west from the Mountaineer.

Mountain_Marc

Postby granite_grrl » Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:44 pm

Hmmm, boyfriend isn't so keen on the Hostel idea. I looked on the internet for hotels in the area, all I came up with was stuff in Lake Placid (which wasn't really cheap). Are there some little places that I'd be missing when seaching sites like Expedia?

Rebecca
granite_grrl

Postby Mountain_Marc » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:55 pm

You can check these places out. I copied this from the Mountainfest website. The Hostel is the only one I have experience with.

Lodging is available at the following many fine bed and breakfasts in Keene, Keene Valley and the area:

Barkeater - 518 576-2221
Keene Valley Lodge - 518 576-2003
Mountain Meadow - 518 576-4771
Trails End Inn - 518 576-9860
The Hostel - 518 576-2030
Cascade Ski Touring Center (Lake Placid) 518 523-9605
Jack Rabbit (Lake Placid) - 518 523-0123
Ark Trail Inn (Upper Jay) - 518 946-2276
Brookside Motor Inn (Upper Jay) - 518 946-8369

Mountain_Marc

Postby Mountain_Marc » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:22 pm

So how was it? What did you guys climb? Where did you stay?

Mountain_Marc

Postby granite_grrl » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:29 pm

*sniff* the boyfirend's boots never actually showed up till today, and I didn't know if the Mountaineer rented boots (esp in his size) and they wern't answering their phone.

Anyway, we didn't go last weekend :cry: . But with the crappy temps locally this week again I think we'll head there next weekend (we're much better prepared this time round).

So I guess I'll let you know next weekend.
granite_grrl

Return to General