Multi pitch Climbing

For all the motormouths who just need to spray.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Multi pitch Climbing

Postby Graham » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:21 am

Just curious if there are any good mountain multi pitch routes some where in the vicinity of the east coast? It looks like maybe there are a few in Quebec and New Hampshire. Just wondering for future possibilities.
Graham

Postby martha » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:05 am

rock or ice?
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby mathieu » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:14 am

What do you mean by mountain multi pitch?

If its an alpine setting you want then the only ones that come to mind are

Cannon Cliff New Hampshire (rock and ice)
Stuff in Huntington ravine Mt Washington NH (rock and ice)
Mt Katadhin Maine, (rock and ice)
Quebec would have some but mostly in the Aid climbing Cap Trinite, not really alpine, mostly marine :)

A better place to start would be multipitch climb at a crag ie short approach, cathedral in North Conway for example.
Bar Harbor Maine is a good spot, I highly recommend "Story of O". Its close to F'ton so makes a nice weekend. Precipice in Bar Harbour is a good area, there is a whole bunch of multipitch route ranging from 5.6 to hard.
If you want to get your multipitch systems down then the Gunks in New York is a awesome place. There is so many routes jammed together that you can do easily 12-18 pitch a day (not a weekend day but a midweek day). YOu really want to be efficient if you do an alpine route.
mathieu

Postby Graham » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:16 pm

Looks like their's no shortage of routes, I was mainly looking for mountain routes for the aisthetics. I've done a few 5 or 6 pitch climbs up mountains and it was a completly unique experience. I was just curious if there was anything around here. Sounds like a few of those routes are quality though, thanks.
Graham

Return to General