Robot suit

For all the motormouths who just need to spray.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Robot suit

Postby sputnik » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:52 am

sputnik

Postby mike » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:26 pm

Cool. Kind of.

It'll be realy cool when the dood who's spoosed to get carried is the one wearing the suit though. Technology rocks.

One concern though.... Cyberdyne... isn't that the company from the Terminator Trilogy???? Was that actually non-ficton??? UHHHH OHHH.

Technology sux!

Mike
mike

Postby tracstarr » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:58 am

that's some pretty cool stuff. potential to give back a lot to those you are paralized. Balance will be the hardest thing to overcome with a paralized person wearing the suit, but damn, could you imagine. I also just watched a program the other night that was showcasing an active leg prostetic instead of the normal passive. Essentially it learns from the movements of the opposite leg and provide a more normal walking gate and the ability to walk up stairs normally.
tracstarr

Postby The Teth » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:25 am

Of course another implication of this is that solders will be able to ware more body armour and carry bigger ordinance. It has been a favourite premise among science fiction writers for years. It will be the biggest change in land warfare since tanks replaced horses.

The Teth
The Teth

Postby thicks » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:35 am

I think you have been watching too much anime Teth, the economics of robo-armour wouldnt work out. We are having a hard time getting troup carriers that dont roll over.
T
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way, so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me. -- Emo Philips
thicks

Postby The Teth » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:54 pm

More of a science fiction reader than an anime fan. Anime tends to favour twenty foot tall robots and such....not exactly what I was suggesting. I was thinking more along the line of robot assist suits which would allow people to carry more weight without additional exertion. “Great Sky River” is a really good book featuring robot assisted suits. Worth a read. For that matter, it has been about 12 years since I read it. I should find my library card.

The Teth
The Teth

Postby szymiec » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:02 pm

Mike,

I think we need not only a gammow bag but also one of these suits for our Kili trip! Yeah!

i am robo guide.

chris
szymiec

Return to General