Val-David

For all the motormouths who just need to spray.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Val-David

Postby Fred » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:48 pm

does anyone know if there is a guidebook for Val-David near Montreal. I know there is guidbook for the bouldering at DrTopo but I'm wondering about the cliffs.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Stef » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:04 am

I have one. I don't know if they are still in print, but you can borrow it if you want.

Cheers,

Stef.
Stef

Postby Fred » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:59 am

sweet! any beta on the area? I hear it's pretty decent. We are going to plan 2 or 3 days there I think.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Stef » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:05 am

There is a 5.8 called called "Spectre" which is really sweet. I think it is at Mt. King, if I remember right. While you are there go have a look at "Zebree", the 5.14 crack. It is one wild looking line!

There are lots of nice routes, but I found it crowded the few times I was there on a weekend. Given the choice, I prefer the 'dacks. also the FQME mafia hassles people as well who aren't members.

Cheers,

S.
Stef

Postby Ulysse » Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:19 am

I cant remember the names but there are good lines on a pillar, guidebook cover maybe? If I remember they are around 5.10 and quite good.
Ulysse

Postby Fred » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:04 pm

we'll have to plan to hit the place during the week. What is the cliff like? One long wall? several walls? accessible for my mother since she'll be with us to watch the baby?
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Stef » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:47 am

There are about three or four main areas, some you have to drive between, others are along the same trail. As I recall, the hike was pretty flat and mellow.
Stef

Postby Fred » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:31 pm

so we got to climb two days in Val-David. The climbing was excellent and at the same time disapointing. Keep in mind we only made it out to Mt. Condor which is the cliff with the spire. We did 4 climbs on the spire that were spectacular. The rock is super friendly. But overall the cliff is a bit short. I guess I was expecting much more for what Qubecers call the best climbing in Eastern Canada. I would like to go back to see Mt King and others before I can judge Val-David but our first visit was not overly impressive. Don't get me wrong, it was great, but not a first class destination by any means. Kamou and Acadia much better. Even Clifton and Welsford I found were better.

On a side note, the boulders at the base of Mt Condor looked pretty stellar. Some crazy big overhanging blocks with prows, features, etc. Looked sweet but we didn't climb them.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby dcentral » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:38 pm

Yeha the bouldering there is pretty cool. Both sets of boulders are pretty interesting. I'd like to go back and check out the newer group of boulders. there were a lot of weird overhanging ones from what I remember.

The rock is like sand paper thought, you gut cut up really fast.
dcentral

Postby martha » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:20 am

I actually found that the granite there was far more forgiving there than in welsford, Clifton or NS. hand jamming hardly hurt! Maybe the boulders are more rough though.

Yeah, of the 8 or 9 routes we did, only about 4 were stellar.

Again, it was nice like Fred said.. but kind of disappointing considering the hype. Next time we are going to get up to Mt. King and hopefully that will be better.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby dcentral » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:37 pm

I think it dpends on what side you are on. The newer the set cut you up a lot more then from what I remember on the older set.
dcentral

Return to General