backcountry recipes

For all the motormouths who just need to spray.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

backcountry recipes

Postby dcentral » Mon May 01, 2006 11:51 pm

How about we post some good recipes for the wilderness.

I've made dehydrated hummas, fruit roll ups, and spagetti sauce among other things.

Chicken Fajitas

My favorite for the first day of camping is to make up an Old El Paso Fajita mix with some chicken. Once that's done. Throw it in a ziplock with some cheese and salsa then freeze the whole thing. I'll usually pack it with some juice boxes to help keep it cold and if you keep it covered in you pack it should slowly defrost enough that you can just heat it up. I

The other advantage of this meal is that tortialls won't really squish in your pack and you only make one dish with the pot. You don't have to clean any bowls.

What has everyone else got?
dcentral

Postby Fred » Tue May 02, 2006 7:34 am

if you have a food dehydrator you must try beef jerky. Here's a quick recipie.

-buy fast fry steaks that have NO fat on them. The fat will not dry/cure. You must cut off anything that does not look like red meat
-soak in water, soya sauce, worchestershire sauce, tons of salt over night
-place on the racks in the dehydrater untill bone dry

also
-pinaple slices in the dehydrator are pretty good. I find all other fruits are just shriveled and bland.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby martha » Tue May 02, 2006 7:54 am

Be sure to add garlic and onion to that mix for the beef jerky. just more great flavor!
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

hmmm

Postby mathieu » Tue May 02, 2006 9:53 am

Last summer we went on a one week trip and just brought loads of fresh vegetables and even a cooked salmon. I guess I should mentionned that our food was flown in to our high camp which was at the bottom of a giant iceberg that found itself wedge in the middle of the mountains. So we had some sort of refregiration (dropped to -2 every night) and weight wasn't an issue. It was just great to see peoples jaw drop when we reheated the salmon and then sizzled some veggies.

I'm always a fan of left over pizza for my first nights meal or if just going on an overnight which is just about every trip i make now a days.

Wilderness recipes; bagels and some sardines is all you need :wink:
mathieu

Postby dcentral » Tue May 02, 2006 12:30 pm

We haven't tried jerky yet. Might have too. We've done lots of fruit and other veggies.

Dehydrating veggie burgers made of beans works well too.

We finally bought a dehydrator last year. Carolyn had built a solar dehydrator that worked really well. All you need is a lot of sun.
dcentral

Postby thicks » Tue May 02, 2006 12:37 pm

I am a pretty big fan of tin foil dinners, despite them being a little heavy. Basically just bring a bag of frozen veggies, a package of frozen stewing beef, potato, oil and hopefully some (over priced) montreal steak spice.

Mix it up, add the oil and spice, and then double wrap in foil(shinny side in) and let sit on some nice fire coals. Time on the heat will naturally depend on the size of the meal and the fire, but i prefer smaller and more even coals for a little while longer.

Oh and with 2/3 of the meal being frozen, i find it keeps well and it hasnt let me down yet.
T
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way, so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me. -- Emo Philips
thicks

Postby Fred » Tue May 02, 2006 1:54 pm

the only thing I prepare now on the dehydrator is Jerky. mmmmm soo good. Way better than the store bought stuff. Makes you wonder what grade meat they use.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Graham » Tue May 02, 2006 4:42 pm

A tried and true favorite, especialy for winter camping, is Puss n' chunks. Don't let the name deceive you, it's awsome.

Basicly all you need is freezed dried mashed potatoes (addsome salt and powdered milk to the mix for an added bonus) some powdered soup mix (beef and veggie are probably best) and some cut up form of pre-cooked meat. Brautwherst work really well, but steak, chiken and hamburger are all possible alternatives.

Mix it all together in boiling water and you have some good eats that'll stick to the ribs. Like I said, probably best for winter as it's a little heavy for the summer.
Graham

Postby Chris » Tue May 02, 2006 9:37 pm

I always bring along the fixings for my favourite oatmeal!

Almond Vanilla Oatmeal

1 cup of Quick Oats
1 scoop of Vanilla protein powder
1.5 packs of Sweetner
1 tablespoon of Almond Butter.

All dry ingredients go in a Baggie
almond butter gets added when I add the hot water to the desired consitency. Good energy breakfast....mmmmm...tastes awesome!
Chris

Postby martha » Wed May 03, 2006 7:35 am

I like to add raisins and nuts and other dried fruit to my oatmeal out camping too.

I never thought of adding protein powder! what a good idea!
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby dcentral » Wed May 03, 2006 12:42 pm

Yeah that seems alright.

We usually do the same kind of thing with oatmeal except we usually add some powdered milk as well.

Last year camping on in an Alpine medow was covered in fresh huckle berries, we threw those in there as a well. It pretty much made the best Oatmeal ever.
dcentral

Return to General