no pressure....

For all the motormouths who just need to spray.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

no pressure....

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 26, 2004 12:06 pm

from 8a.nu

A tsunami created by an eartquake hit Railay Beach in Thailand at 11.00. All restaurants by the beach have been destroyed but no climbers have been reported seriously injured.

Some 100 climbers ran in panic from the beach and some red-points had a dramatic finish, when suddenly a 10 meter wave appeared.

crazy stuff! what were the belayers to do?! and if they DID do something (ie., run like hell) what the hell were the leaders doing?!?

Postby martha » Sun Dec 26, 2004 1:20 pm

the only saving grace is that the belayers and the climbers were attached by a rope, which was attached to a rock face with bolts and draws. so they wouldn't have gone too far if the wave DID hit them.

crazy stuff.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Fred » Sun Dec 26, 2004 1:50 pm

martha wrote:the only saving grace is that the belayers and the climbers were attached by a rope, which was attached to a rock face with bolts and draws. so they wouldn't have gone too far if the wave DID hit them.

crazy stuff.

yes well... They would have been able to recover the bodies but I suspect there is a significant amount of force coming from a 10m high wave especially when it slams you against a wall.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby martha » Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:05 pm

I didn't say that they'd survive. only that they wouldn't go to far.

must have been SCARY!
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:29 pm

10m... so good chance that people climbing would have been above this unless they were just starting their climbs. their belayers however would not have fared well.

a catastrophe in any event.

Postby Hum » Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:55 pm

It's tragic.. but I say ur Prettymuch screwed if ur low enough.. 4500 died in Sri Lanka when it hit their Western shore

Tsunamis in the Pacific can go about 700 km/hr...not much point in running is there?
Hum

Postby Chris » Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:25 am

this morning's news put the fatality count at 20000 - unreal!
Chris

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:07 am

tsunami tsivia

fast as an airliner out at see, but i guess they slow right down when the approach shore. the water also recedes as it approaches, but even if you knew what you were seeing i doubt you'd be able to get away. luck of the draw at that point i think.

just reminds me how safe we have it here in the maritimes....

- rarely even a noticable earthquake or tornado
- one tsunami (think it goes at v9 or something doesn't 'it) ? :)
- no poisonous animals * unless you're allergic
- one or two toxic plants i guess...

we do have some hella winter storms though... and are at risk of these babies. a 90m wave hitting the entire eastern seaboard? ouch...

Postby The Mitt » Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:57 pm

In 1929 there was a tsunami that hit Atlantic Canada I believe 27 Newfoundlanders died. Several injured throughout Atlantic Canada and the then country of Newfoundland. That was rare but they happen everywhere.

Mitt
The sky is falling :)
The Mitt

Postby Matt Peck » Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:37 am

simulclimb! SIMULCLIMB!!!! :shock:
You can't take the sky from me.
Matt Peck

Return to General