Glasses!

For all the motormouths who just need to spray.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

I always wear glasses when rock fall is a hazard

Yes
43%
No
57%

Total votes : 7

Glasses!

Postby szymiec » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:27 pm

Ah man, it was a really rough couple of weeks out here as well. Ive been in Canmore and there has really been no good news.

This is the life we choose. We need to treat the hills with the respect they deserve and help our friends help us get home safely.

About the helmet thing, lets not forget good glasses as well.

These were Cebe glacier glasses. I was waiting way way too long for someone to set up an anchor when a fist sized rock hit me in the face. The lense that is still in took the hit causing the frame to bend and pop out the other lense. No stitches but a nasty shiner. There is no doubt in my mind that these glasses saved my life. 100%. I was 1500 feet up a ice & snow gulley 100 vertical feet from the 11, 060 foot summit. Retreat? yeah right. How long would it take to lower a victim 40 pitches?

It felt like hulk hogan punched me in the head. Needless to say I took over the lead and in passing my partner said " Thats why we dont (content moderated), pointing at my beaten bloddy face.

We topped out 20 min later, South East Face Direct, Diadem Peak new route, Alpine II 5.4.

My thoughts are with you Granite Girl.

C
szymiec

Postby szymiec » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:26 pm

what i said was "thats why we dont flippin stop!"

:)
szymiec

Postby Richard Eh! » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:50 am

I got hit in the face belaying a second pitch two winters ago and my glasses definitely saved my face. And the helmet took quite a hit too, it knocked me off the ice and left me hanging from the screws.
The force of the hit drove the glasses into my face and cut my cheek and bridge of my nose but without them it would have been much worse!
If'n ya think ya can, ya can! If'n ya think ya can't, yer right....!
Richard Eh!

Postby dcentral » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:37 pm

We have to wear saftey glasses when doing rope rescue. It's definitely a good idea.
dcentral

Postby The Teth » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:57 am

No, but I probably should. Do you need special reinforced safety glasses or will regular sun glasses work? I have warren safety glasses while ice climbing, but they fogged up too much so I stopped warring them. I have a set now that I use for carpentry around the house which are not closed in on the sides, so maybe they would not fog up so fast. I often ware sun glasses when rock climbing mid day, but I have never warren them due to rock fall hazard. Should I get some sort of reinforced sun glasses for rock climbing?

Teth
The Teth

Postby szymiec » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:23 pm

Well, those Cebe s sure did the trick. You can take off those side cups so they dont fog up. Mine were like $180.00 but i think you can get cheaper Julbos out there.

I dunno, anything with a metal frame and strong lenses should do.

I tell yah, id be dead on the SW face right now if it wasnt for them. Guarenteed! But me thinks if the rock was any bigger no amount of protection would suffice. Maybe a motorbike racing helmet!

Some might also say that one should not expose ones self to rock fall at all.

C
szymiec

Return to General