Large Granite Boulders

For all the motormouths who just need to spray.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Large Granite Boulders

Postby Crooky » Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:51 pm

I recently returned from Maine and while there I noticed some large granite boulders while driving from Bangor to Bar Harbor. Probably nothing to get to excited about there were only a couple of hundred house size ones that would be worth climbing.
Crooky

Postby martha » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:39 am

wow, I do sense some sarcasm there.

what highway are these 'couple hundred house size boulders not to get excited about' on?
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:50 am

highway distance marker?? details?? :) isn't that near clifton? possibly the area (or close to) that zig scoffed at?? ;)

seems there are more and more granite boulders being found in this area... from charlotte county NB west through maine....

why can't there be some just a little closer.... mcadam is a good start... but still an hour and a half away.

Postby Fred » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:05 am

If you are talking about the boulders on the 'airline' road near Clifton, they have been explored by a crew from Freddy. Some claimed there was potential for 500 problems and others said "no way". It's one of those 'gona have to get down there and check it out for yourself' deals. Plus, from what I've hear, they are filthy and require alot of work for cleaning. In my experience, boulderers in NB get excited over nothing. Just anything to get out bouldering. Untill I check it out I'm not gona say it's not the new Meca. :)
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Crooky » Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:34 pm

I am not sure the route number it is not the Clifton area. It is the highway through Brewer heading East to Bar Harbor. Not sure a mile marker most appear to be on the right when east bound about 25 to 30 minutes east of Bangor although Kristin was driving so probably about 3 miles east of Bangor. I am not sure if they are granite but i would suspect they are and they are more garage size then house size but a few hundred is probably an understatement since we didn't stop or even slow down and they seem to be littered through out the woods along the highway for 5 or 6 miles.
Crooky

Return to General