Climbing in Spain

For all the motormouths who just need to spray.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Climbing in Spain

Postby peter » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:53 am

Hey folks. Just a plug for a great rural guest house I stayed in last fall in Spain, as the fall climbing season there is approaching. Spain is a big off-season climbing destination for Brits, and the Canadian dollar is super-strong right now, so your hard earned bucks will go a long way.

I was there the last week in November last year, with Alex Morin, late of Halifax now of BC, and the weather was perfect. By comparison, back home at that time I would have been hoping for early ice and eying the snow fall on Mt. Washington, but in Spain it was sunshine and trad/sport routes galore. Bouldering destinations like Fontainbleau were already pretty chilly, except perhaps by NS standards; I know because I went straight from Spain to a week in Paris!

Some photos may be found at http://pic1.piczo.com/mcmac-in-france/?g=19402379&cr=1 , if you haven't seen these before. We climbed on the Costa Blanca, on the Mediterrenean side of Spain, and stayed at the Aqua Venture guest house, at Sella.

Within a radius of 25 k of the guest house are more than 30 different sports climbing crags (limestone). The crags are well equipped, mainly south facing and on the whole the routes are technical face climbing with good friction. There are also hundreds of trad routes longer than 300m(900ft), some of which are 750m (2250ft). There are a few very good English language guide books.

The Costa Blanca mountains are considered one of the best climbing areas in Europe, particular in the spring and fall. The dry and mild climate practically guarantees you no cancellations or changes to your climbing program due to bad weather, something I did not experience in the Alps!

The Aqua Ventura quest house is run by great people, enthusiastic about the outdoors, but in a professional, family setting. The house is a lovely renovated farm house, in the midst of a wide valley, with orange and olive groves all around. The owners also organize or guide kayaking, canyoning, mountain-biking, mountain walking, caving and tandem-paragliding.

In any case, consider a peek at their website at http://www.aqua-ventura.com for more information, or email Jonathan Neill at Aqua Ventura, info@aqua-ventura.com
peter

Return to General