Planning Red Rock trip??

For all the motormouths who just need to spray.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Planning Red Rock trip??

Postby motanb » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:23 am

Its getting too cold to climb outside now (ice climbers are happy!) which brings thoughts of the desert to mind. I'm starting to look into a potential trip this upcoming feb or march to the red rocks or j-tree area; are there any interested climbers out there who'd like to start planning? If so, please let me know; the sooner we start to organize the better!

Ciao,

Thomas
motanb

Postby martha » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:33 am

Fred and I are heading down in March-ish as well. perhaps we will hook up while there?

we will likely be leaving Marie-France with my mom for a week (I don't know how I'll survive the seperation anxiety - but I'm sure I'll live, just barely) so we'll be doing lots of trad, multi pitch and sport as well.

What are your wants/desires for climbing? short? long? bolts? gear?

I'd talk to Ulysse too, I'm sure he'd be up for it.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

planning trip to red rocks

Postby motanb » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:39 am

I'm looking to do routes that are classics! Regardless of bolts or not; particularly, I'd love to do some of the longer routes there!!

It'd be fun if we could all go together!

I may be coming to freddy tonight to boulder too! W'll talk more.

Thomas
motanb

Postby martha » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:14 pm

Hey thom,

i won't be at the wall tonight as I have to coach Junior climbing from 3-5 and then I have pilates and then it is time to go home and put baby to bed.

I will be there tomorrow evening though from 5-7 I hope.

Yeah, we are planning on doing some classics.

so far we have put these on our list.

Solar Slab via Johnny Vegas
Prince of Darkness (I've done it but Fred wants to)
Dream of Wild Turkeys
Frog Land

Those are all 5 + pitches so we'll be likely doing them in the early morning and then whatever time we have left at the end of the day we'll spend sport climbing. we *might* get POD and Dream of Wild Turkeys in the same day if we start early enough as they are side by side. both are over 600 feet though. it would be a long day for sure. But POD is sport with some nut placements. Ulysse and I did it and with the climb and the rap off it took about 4ish hours. Fred and I would likely move a bit slower than ulysee and I did though.

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Fred » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:40 pm

martha wrote:Ulysse and I did it and with the climb and the rap off it took about 4ish hours. Fred and I would likely move a bit slower than ulysee and I did though.

martha=speed1
ulysse=speed2
fred=speed3

speed1+speed2 = time1
speed1+speed3 = time2

time2 > time1
(speed1+speed2) > (speed1 +speed3)
[(speed1+speed2)-speed1] > [(speed1+speed3)-speed1]
speed2>speed3

thus,
Ulysse > Fred

hey now!!!! wtf. hehehe

she's right though. That guy climbs like Dean Potter (relative of course)
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby mathieu » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:39 pm

Fred wrote:
martha=speed1
ulysse=speed2
fred=speed3

speed1+speed2 = time1
speed1+speed3 = time2

time2 > time1
(speed1+speed2) > (speed1 +speed3)
[(speed1+speed2)-speed1] > [(speed1+speed3)-speed1]
speed2>speed3

thus,
Ulysse > Fred

hey now!!!! wtf. hehehe

she's right though. That guy climbs like Dean Potter (relative of course)

Error in your logic time 2 does not equal sp1 +sp2 but as your assumption said earlier time 2 = sp1+sp3 therefore sp3>sp2

Gawd i'm bored. We may see you in vegas in march, the idea is to buy a van and live down by the river for a few months.
mathieu

Postby granite_grrl » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:55 pm

martha wrote:Hey thom,

i won't be at the wall tonight as I have to coach Junior climbing from 3-5 and then I have pilates and then it is time to go home and put baby to bed.

I will be there tomorrow evening though from 5-7 I hope.

Yeah, we are planning on doing some classics.

so far we have put these on our list.

Solar Slab via Johnny Vegas
Prince of Darkness (I've done it but Fred wants to)
Dream of Wild Turkeys
Frog Land

Those are all 5 + pitches so we'll be likely doing them in the early morning and then whatever time we have left at the end of the day we'll spend sport climbing. we *might* get POD and Dream of Wild Turkeys in the same day if we start early enough as they are side by side. both are over 600 feet though. it would be a long day for sure. But POD is sport with some nut placements. Ulysse and I did it and with the climb and the rap off it took about 4ish hours. Fred and I would likely move a bit slower than ulysee and I did though.

We did Solar Slab via Buelah's Book last time. We were doing pretty good, but a party beat us to the bast of Solar Slab via Solar Slab gulley :(. We still went to the top got to explore (did the 8 pitches, most people start down after 6 pitches), but we would have done it much quicker had we not got stuck behind a much slower party. It sucks because its of such an easy grade that many beginner parties head up it, and woe be to you if you get stuck behind them.

I've also been up Dream of Wild Turkeys. I did the first two pitches of Gobbler to it which made it more sustained I beleive. It was a fantastic route, I tought it was much better that POD.

One place that we pretty cool to climb last time we were there was Ice Box Canyon. The single pitch stuff on the norht side.
granite_grrl

Postby Ulysse » Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:29 pm

Hey Tom if your in Red Rocks you HAVE to climb Cloud Tower. Its by far the best climb I've done in the red so far. The first 5.11d pitch protects well with Black,Blue and Green aliens. Triple up on the blue and you will be ready to rock and hopefully not roll. The Last pitch of that climb is just out of this world. Looks like a pitch that got lost on its way to Indian creek, perfect hands and fist for 160'. Hope your getting out lots. Keep in touch. Later...Ulysse
Ulysse

Postby Shawn B » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:48 am

C'mon Ulysse. Tell us the real story about your days in Red Rocks. You know what I'm talkin' 'bout. I know that you know and you know I know but others don't know and others don't know I know :oops: ....but I know. Sorry...inside joke. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Shawn B

Postby Stef » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:12 am

Have you guys decided on a date yet? We were thinking of going after Christmas sometime. I got my guidebook in the mail yesterday, the routes looks awesome!

Cheers,

Stef.
Stef

Postby martha » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:31 pm

Hey Stef,

we are thinking sometime in March. that gives me some time to get the baby weaned so we can leave her with my mom for the week. :)

cheers.

martha

Postby Stef » Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:03 pm

Stef

Postby martha » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:16 pm

Yah man...I've seen that site. some great photos.

martha

Postby granite_grrl » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:57 am

The first time I was in Red Rocks I hung out with this young guy (well, like 22 or something) and his mother. His goal was to do Resolution Arrete with his mother following and jugging every pitch. They left super early the one morning, and when I woke I was surprized that they were already back.

I guess this young little cat followed them the entire way in. They had a bad feeling about the climb (the young guy was already tired and didn't feel up to leading every pitch) and they hiked back out.....the little cat following them the entire way. When they got back to their truck the cat jumped right in.

They kept the cat, and called it Res after the climb.
granite_grrl

Postby Stef » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:03 am

We booked our trip for March 17th-24th! Anyone considering going this week or aftwards should book campsites/rooms now. The "Redrock Rendevous" is going on that weekend and places are booking-up fast.

Cheers,

Stef.
Stef

Postby martha » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:33 pm

Yah man, it is going to be a blast! woooowooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

martha

Postby Anonymous » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:51 pm

Stef wrote:We booked our trip for March 17th-24th! Anyone considering going this week or aftwards should book campsites/rooms now. The "Redrock Rendevous" is going on that weekend and places are booking-up fast.

Cheers,

Stef.

afaik, 13 mile campground only allows reservations for their group campsites. individual campsites are first-come-first-served (according to roxanna brock's RRC guide)... and people are pretty friendly there in general... we managed to share a site with people when we went in '05.
Anonymous

Postby martha » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:00 pm

Yup. I'm certain that the individual sites are first come first served.

The Red Rocks Rendezvous sets up a big 'tent city' for the event anyways, so there will be loads of camping over the 3 days in question.

martha

Return to General