Need Advice on a Rope

For all the motormouths who just need to spray.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Need Advice on a Rope

Postby Climbing4life » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:53 am

What up everyone,

I`m thinking about buying my first rope but i`m kinda on a budget , just wounderin if i could get some feed back on a rope , i got the name and details of the one i`m planning on getting , it 119# for a 60m plus tax.

THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK

Sean(Climbing4life)

Superb value in a basic, beefy rope that will take
the abuse of high volume top-roping and occasional mis-handling.
It represents excellent value for climbers who are new to the sport
and learning their rope skills. No midway markers, or pattern changes
to indicate the centre point. The relatively high sheath ratio reduces
the suppleness of the rope, but makes it much more durable.

Edelrid Skypilot 10.3mm Rope

10.3mm diameter.
UIAA test fall rating of 8.
Rated to an impact force of 9.3kN.
Weight of 66g/m.
Available in 50 and 60m lengths.
This rope has no dry treatment so it is not suitable for ice or alpine climbing.
"Death was Nature's way of telling you to slow down."
-- Terry Pratchett (Strata, 1981)
Climbing4life

Postby Graham » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:22 am

The Skypilot is a good rope, especially for a first time buy. It has good balance between durability (thicker sheath) without being obscenly thick and heavy. It takes abuse well and I would highly recomend it. However, if you are going to do any leading, you'll notice that it is a bit on the heavy side compared to most other ropes out there (e.g Mammut Infinity, what a beautiful creation), but all in all, it's a great rope when your on a budget or getting yourself started. I use mine as a TR on a regular basis and she's still going strong after 1 1/2 years.
Graham

Postby Climbing4life » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:32 am

Graham wrote:The Skypilot is a good rope, especially for a first time buy. It has good balance between durability (thicker sheath) without being obscenly thick and heavy. It takes abuse well and I would highly recomend it. However, if you are going to do any leading, you'll notice that it is a bit on the heavy side compared to most other ropes out there (e.g Mammut Infinity, what a beautiful creation), but all in all, it's a great rope when your on a budget or getting yourself started. I use mine as a TR on a regular basis and she's still going strong after 1 1/2 years.

thakns alot for the feedback and for 120 bucks for a 60 m rope , I cant complain.
:)
Climbing4life

Postby The Teth » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:05 pm

Sounds like a decent starter rope for the price. I would suggest you mark the centre of the rope with tape, or permanent marker, as your description indicates the centre is not marked.

If you get into Ice climbing you will want a dry treated rope, but for now, and for top-rope on nice days, that rope should do the trick.

Teth
The Teth

Postby NB_Gecko » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:55 pm

I have that rope. It says the center isn't marked, but no worries it's got nice bright yellow tape already on it. You posted something about ice climbing... it can't go on ice. Which dissapointed me, but it's still a sweet deal. Have you tried looking at any Beal ropes, I've climbed with them, and they were really good, plus they were ice worthy.
I'll show you the Skypilot at the gym tonight.
"I saw that ! Grabbing the pro — two meters of penalty slack !"
"Blood /n./ substance commonly used to mark a climbing route."
NB_Gecko

Postby martha » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:00 pm

NB_Gecko wrote: You posted something about ice climbing... it can't go on ice. Which dissapointed me, but it's still a sweet deal.

Oh... it CAN go on ice...but trust me when I say you don't really want to take it ice climbing. un-treated ropes get sooooooooo heavy when wet, and they also loose some of their stregnth.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby The Mitt » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:52 pm

You can buy a wash in dry treatment. Doesn't last that long but for that price it may be worth it. A 10+mm rope is a good buy for a first rope cause it will stand up to alot of abuse.

Mitt
The Mitt

Postby Climbing4life » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:02 pm

martha wrote:
NB_Gecko wrote: You posted something about ice climbing... it can't go on ice. Which dissapointed me, but it's still a sweet deal.

Oh... it CAN go on ice...but trust me when I say you don't really want to take it ice climbing. un-treated ropes get sooooooooo heavy when wet, and they also loose some of their stregnth.

wasn`t actually saying i`m gonna use the rope for ice climbing , jhust saying wanna try ice climbing in general but thanks for all the awesome feed back i`m pumped to get that rope now .
Thanks alot everyone.
Climbing4life

Postby The Mitt » Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:24 pm

Just an aside. Welcome to the site and welcome to climbing. Seeing your enthusiasm for the sport is refreshing, anytime you wanna rope up in NS send me a pm.

Mitt
The Mitt

Postby Fred » Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:31 pm

what Martha is also failing to mention is that frozen ropes can be very dangerous
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Climbing4life » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:33 pm

The Mitt wrote:Just an aside. Welcome to the site and welcome to climbing. Seeing your enthusiasm for the sport is refreshing, anytime you wanna rope up in NS send me a pm.

Mitt

Actually I want to get to boulderfest this year comming but i have no idea any of the detail , IE: Cost , how to get over to dover island etc .
Climbing4life

Postby The Mitt » Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:37 pm

I am sure everything will be posted here.

Mitt
The Mitt

Postby martha » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:37 pm

Fred wrote:what Martha is also failing to mention is that frozen ropes can be very dangerous

actually, I did say
Martha wrote: and they also loose some of their stregnth.

I don't know the details of it, but know that wet/frozen ropes are not as strong as a dry one.

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Stan » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:10 pm

If ropes get soaked for a long period of time, they loose up to 60% of their strength no matter what the treatment (dry/non-dry) is. Frozen ropes retain about 90% of the original strength. Dry treatment is more about handling and weight (and marketing, of course :lol: ).

FYI: REIoutlet.com has a nice selection of Maxim ropes on sale. E.g. Maxim Glider Dry 9.8mmx60m is US$129.93
Stan

Postby Fred » Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:32 pm

I'm not talking about strength but rather handling with belay devices and gloves.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby martha » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:22 pm

Fred wrote:I'm not talking about strength but rather handling with belay devices and gloves.

ah yes. I remember belaying Stef up a route after I had led it on his old ropes... gawd that was a nightmare. I was covered in ice from the belay device shaving the coating off both ropes on the way. the rope felt like it was about 200lbs and It was the biggest workout I have ever gotten from belaying. It was pretty darn scary too!

martha

Postby Stef » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:59 am

Yup, the ropes were so frozen, we was able to push them straight-up 60 m from the bottom of Parllee Brook to the top :)

Stef.
Stef

Postby martha » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:34 pm

Stef wrote:Yup, the ropes were so frozen, we was able to push them straight-up 60 m from the bottom of Parllee Brook to the top :)

Stef.

no wonder that lead felt so easy! you were pushing me up it!!

:lol:

martha

Return to General