Rockclimbing.com has new layout!

For all the motormouths who just need to spray.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Rockclimbing.com has new layout!

Postby granite_grrl » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:49 pm

And I'm not sure if I like it.

I'm hiding out here for a while. :?
granite_grrl

Postby The Mitt » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:00 pm

Too much room wasted on advertising, Its contrived, and above all else its still slow :(

Mitt
The Mitt

Postby granite_grrl » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:16 pm

I'm just getting irritated looking at the site. It's going to drive a lot of people away I think.
granite_grrl

Postby dcentral » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:07 pm

Well it is a lot cleaner then the old site and a little more structured then the old mess.

But it is nothing special really. It actually reminds me of those pages you see when you type in the wrong address and someone owns the wrong address and it's just a series of links to other sites.

It really doesn't scream climbing at all.
dcentral

Postby The Mitt » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:08 pm

Its funny the one major thing that they were trying to fix the didn't. Its still slow and I can't get into the forums page, it keeps asking for my login info. Either that or I have been kicked allready :) I did call the owner a dick so its possible :)

Mitt
The Mitt

Postby The Mitt » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:43 pm

Yup I am pretty sure I'm on "time out" from RC.com :) They didn't even let me know. I guess not only did the site change its looks but it changed it moderation as well. Nice to be home here at CEC.com.

Mitt
The Mitt

Re: Rockclimbing.com has new layout!

Postby chossmonkey » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:16 pm

granite_grrl wrote:And I'm not sure if I like it.

I'm hiding out here for a while. :?

Me too.

The new format is just too painful. :cry:

Its really to bad they fixed what didn't need fixing. :evil:

Oh, I almost forgot.

My name is Nate, and I am a RC.com refugee. :oops:
chossmonkey

Postby The Mitt » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:08 pm

I have been unbanned after being chastised by the site owner. I feel so...so ashamed :)

Mitt
The Mitt

Postby granite_grrl » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:27 pm

The Mitt wrote:Yup I am pretty sure I'm on "time out" from RC.com :) They didn't even let me know. I guess not only did the site change its looks but it changed it moderation as well. Nice to be home here at CEC.com.

Mitt

Ironically I think that they're bragging about their new mod policy.

That basically means that you can now link to shots of boobies. Big f'ing deal. There are easier ways to look at tits if I really wanted to.
granite_grrl

Postby Mountain_Marc » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:11 am

granite_grrl wrote:
The Mitt wrote:Yup I am pretty sure I'm on "time out" from RC.com :) They didn't even let me know. I guess not only did the site change its looks but it changed it moderation as well. Nice to be home here at CEC.com.

Mitt

Ironically I think that they're bragging about their new mod policy.

That basically means that you can now link to shots of boobies. Big f'ing deal. There are easier ways to look at tits if I really wanted to.

Yup, just have to go to http://www.ratemyrack.com :lol:
"You can't practice to be miserable. You're either good at it or you aren't."

"If a wife speaks in the woods, and her husband is not there to hear her...is she still wrong?"
Mountain_Marc

Postby chossmonkey » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:17 am

That site is turning into a train wreck. I keep wanting to go look and see how much worse it is, but that site just makes me mad now.
chossmonkey

Postby martha » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:23 am

I don't really like the new layout either. I suppose I will get used to it, but I find the forums hard to navigate, and you can't see the times that people have posted so it is hard to tell how new/old a thread post is.

What is with no pics in the threads either?

sigh.

boobies it is I guess.....
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby chossmonkey » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:28 pm

martha wrote:I don't really like the new layout either. I suppose I will get used to it, but I find the forums hard to navigate, and you can't see the times that people have posted so it is hard to tell how new/old a thread post is.

What is with no pics in the threads either?

sigh.

boobies it is I guess.....

They are claiming it is the new foundation to build a better site. With a year of work to get that far I'm wondering if they will ever have a site worth using.

Lots of people are quite upset with no pics in the threads, among many other things.
chossmonkey

Postby The Mitt » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:04 pm

My photos have been deleted, my gear reviews are now gone, just working on my posts now. Then no data.

Mitt
The Mitt

Postby chossmonkey » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:40 pm

Did you delete them or did they?
chossmonkey

Postby The Mitt » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:47 pm

I did. you can now under photos.

Mitt
The Mitt

Postby Pierre » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:17 pm

I don't mind the layout...

They had something broken on the site this morning. I think it's fixed now looks much better now.

The site is much more responsive than it was before.

Pierre
Pierre

Postby granite_grrl » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:33 pm

I'm so torn. On one hand I would like to rip my entire profile off that site...on the other hand I've invested so much to that site already.

I was ripping pissed that I couldn't take my photos off the site...now aparently you can. Don't know if this was a bug waiting to be resolved, or they saw how pissed off people were getting and didn't want to lose user base.

I took off most of my photos, but I left the ones up with a good series of comments. Its hard, I've been on that site for years, I've posted so much to their forms, contributed to their data base, did gear reviews, found partners and firends....hell, I even met hy husband through there.

If I didn't have as much invested in taht site I would completly remove my profile, but I figure I'll leave it for the moment, see how I feel I a week or two.

The site may be much more responsive, but it seems to have lost its sence of community. I guess what really puts me off is the attitudes of the new ownes, theres a ton of complaints about the functionality of the new site but they seem to be of an attitude that this is the way its going to be, and we're going to like it.
granite_grrl

Postby The Mitt » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:45 pm

I have been speaking with the owners and Phill. Most of the things that you don't like are being changed. The delete function was left out by mistake, embeded photos will be back in the near future. RC.com has put in print that they shall not edit posts or pics. I am trying to get them to fix the broken links in RCv1. They are comming around, I still don't like or trust the DZ.com guy sangrio.

RC.com is a nice place to visit but CEC is home. The people here are so much more than just their internet personas. After all you can make fun of Fred and watch him spin for awhile without him kicking you out :lol:

Mitt
The Mitt

Postby martha » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:12 pm

The Mitt wrote:The people here are so much more than just their internet personas. After all you can make fun of Fred and watch him spin for awhile without him kicking you out :lol:

Mitt

Just remember Mittens..... I'm the one in charge around here.
:lol: :lol:

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby The Mitt » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:10 pm

LOL

Mitt
The Mitt

Postby granite_grrl » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:12 pm

The Mitt wrote:I have been speaking with the owners and Phill. Most of the things that you don't like are being changed. The delete function was left out by mistake, embeded photos will be back in the near future. RC.com has put in print that they shall not edit posts or pics. I am trying to get them to fix the broken links in RCv1. They are comming around, I still don't like or trust the DZ.com guy sangrio.

RC.com is a nice place to visit but CEC is home. The people here are so much more than just their internet personas. After all you can make fun of Fred and watch him spin for awhile without him kicking you out :lol:

Mitt

To be honest I'm friends with way more people on that site then I am here. I really like hanging out at CEC, but living out here in Ontario I've felt I've lost touch with a lot of the people from the east now.

I'm going to give it a couple of weeks and then maybe log back in there to check it out. If I still feel the same then I'll see if I can erase myself from RC.com.
granite_grrl

Postby martha » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:53 am

granite_grrl wrote:To be honest I'm friends with way more people on that site then I am here. I really like hanging out at CEC, but living out here in Ontario I've felt I've lost touch with a lot of the people from the east now.

we'll take you in!!!! Hang with us anytime!!! :)

we should start some flame wars just so you RCdotcomers feel like home!

Lets talk about bolting some cracks!

martha

Postby Fred » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:07 am

speaking of bolting I was wondering what you guys think of this...

I have three bolts left in my bag which is not enought to bolt a new line but I'm wondering where to place them. So far I've come up with:

1. One for the traverse on It's a Way of Life. Sketchy now that the tree is dead and you can't sling it.

2. One for the first pitch of Cheekbone to complement the chockstones.

3. One for the run-out bit on Reindeer Land.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby *Chris* » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:34 am

1. One for the traverse on It's a Way of Life. Sketchy now that the tree is dead and you can't sling it.

2. One for the first pitch of Cheekbone to complement the chockstones.

3. One for the run-out bit on Reindeer Land.

:shock: Flame on!
*Chris*

Postby Stef » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:09 am

Excellent idea Fred. Sometimes when I climb those routes, I get scared without bolts. This is unacceptable. Let's bolt up Snake Peel and Warm and Sultry as well. These route are too scary for traditional climbing...

Stef :wink:
Stef

Postby mathieu » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:22 am

I propose one for the first few moves Snakepeel. Place it at the height of the "Its a way of Life ledge" so that I can clip the first bolt from the ledge and do the first few moves on TR. Those moves are stiff for a 7 IMO.
mathieu

Postby martha » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:29 pm

I think that the bolt for cheekbone should be placed IN the chockstone. Just so as not to damage the face. Aesthetically speaking.

I mean really, if the chock stone is solid enough to sling, it is solid enough to bolt.

8)

I was also wondering if we shouldn't put a bolt in the roof of Gumby's and perhaps an optional via ferreta at the turn of the roof instead of that crack?

martha

Postby Fred » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:54 pm

mathieu wrote:I propose one for the first few moves Snakepeel. Place it at the height of the "Its a way of Life ledge" so that I can clip the first bolt from the ledge and do the first few moves on TR. Those moves are stiff for a 7 IMO.

I agree 100%. Might I even suggest placing a full anchor. There are several variations to the start and they could become a nice toproping area. The climb could also be broken down in two pitches to avoid the deadly rope drag.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby granite_grrl » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:23 pm

Well, seeing as I know nothing about any of these routes this seems like the perfect opertunity for an uninformed opinion.

Just grid bolt the entire cliff. I haven't be able to climb since my accident but I think leading will scare me for a while. And forget about getting me to place gear! I would also appreciate if you could the bolts super close together, I'd like to basically toprope my way up.
granite_grrl

Next

Return to General