w00t! Walking with a cane.

For all the motormouths who just need to spray.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

w00t! Walking with a cane.

Postby granite_grrl » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:38 pm

We just went out and bought me a cane today. Its sad to be so excited but its pretty sweet to not have to lug crutches around.

Just wish there was roon enough in our apartment to twirl it. :?
granite_grrl

Postby The Mitt » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:44 pm

That's awesome. Have you started you physio yet? Are you keeping up on your home exercises? Very important.

Mitt
The Mitt

Postby granite_grrl » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:02 pm

Been doing physio for the past couple of months, 3x a week. Besides from my exercises at home I've been trying to go for "longer" (read: long for me) walks, and I even got out on my bike on a bike path yesterday (clipless peddles suck with a weaker, uncorrodinated leg).

Harness still hurts my leg when I put it on, but I'm still hoping to enjoy this years ice season.
granite_grrl

Postby The Mitt » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:06 pm

Don't go to soon. Reinjury can lead to further complications.

Mitt
The Mitt

Postby martha » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:55 pm

woooohooooo to you!

so glad to hear you are making such a quick recovery!!!
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby chossmonkey » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:56 pm

The doctor said she can pretty much do whatever as tolerated. The bones should be healed enough that she shouldn't hurt herself unless she decides to do something really stupid. Since the harness is bothering her she still can't try climbing again yet, not that the weather is any good for that right now anyway. :?

Hopefully by Christmas she will be able to start toproping.
chossmonkey

Postby Fred » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:14 am

You're a trooper. Keep up the good work.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby granite_grrl » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:20 pm

chossmonkey wrote:The doctor said she can pretty much do whatever as tolerated. The bones should be healed enough that she shouldn't hurt herself unless she decides to do something really stupid. Since the harness is bothering her she still can't try climbing again yet, not that the weather is any good for that right now anyway. :?

Hopefully by Christmas she will be able to start toproping.

Wooohooo! And you gave me a new set of crampos for my b-day to get me more excited for ice this year!

BD Cyborgs, tres sexy.
granite_grrl

Postby thicks » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:31 pm

A friend of mine got all of his grandfathers canes when he passed, and one of them was super cool. It had a detachable handle, but instead of a knife or sword or something completely useless, there was a shot glass in it. Granted you probably dont need a cane that carries booze around with ya anywhere you go but I thought I would mention it just for... well... flavour.
glad to hear rehab is moving along, in the words of the imortal Wham, "Gotta have faith..."
Giver
Thicks
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way, so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me. -- Emo Philips
thicks

Postby chossmonkey » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:29 pm

thicks wrote: Granted you probably dont need a cane that carries booze around with ya anywhere you go ..........

Shows how much you know. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
chossmonkey

Postby granite_grrl » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:59 pm

Seems like if you need a cane to keep your balance and help you walk then getting drunk seems like a bad idea :? .
granite_grrl

Postby The Mitt » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:55 pm

granite_grrl wrote:Seems like if you need a cane to keep your balance and help you walk then getting drunk seems like a bad idea :? .

OK I have to disagree with this. It is never a bad idea to get drunk just less ideal. Your stock just went way done on the respect-o-meter :)

Mitt
The Mitt

Postby granite_grrl » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:33 pm

The Mitt wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:Seems like if you need a cane to keep your balance and help you walk then getting drunk seems like a bad idea :? .

OK I have to disagree with this. It is never a bad idea to get drunk just less ideal. Your stock just went way done on the respect-o-meter :)

Mitt

That hurts, man. I'll see what I can do when I get home for xmas. My father seems pretty good at supplying a steady steam of beer in the evenings.
granite_grrl

Postby chossmonkey » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:14 pm

The Mitt wrote:

Mitt

Would it help that the second day that we knew each other we got into an unofficial drinking contest?

She absolutely wouldn't hear of me having one more beer than she did. Poor Chris Richardson mostly just sat on the sidelines and watched because while he was of age in Canada he still had a few years to go in the States. I think he was worried that the cops were going jump out of the bushes and bust him. :lol:
chossmonkey

Postby The Mitt » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:13 pm

lol :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Mitt

Postby thicks » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:47 am

Here is a long shotglass....

or this one, (minus the older chap, and replace the stairs with a boulder field...)

When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way, so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me. -- Emo Philips
thicks

Postby chossmonkey » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:51 pm

thicks wrote:Image

They had a similar model at the store we went to.

She almost got the flashy butterfly print cane but she didn't like the shape of the handle.
chossmonkey

Postby chossmonkey » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:23 pm

Well it looks like Rebecca will be out of commision as far as climbing goes for a while longer. :(

We went tout today and had here try hanging in her harness agian, but it still kinda hurt her leg.

On the up side, she did get to go tromping around in crampons today. Not really on any ice, but up and down some frozen slopes to get to where she could hang in her harness. She did pretty good on the trails otherwise.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby granite_grrl » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:29 pm

chossmonkey wrote:Well it looks like Rebecca will be out of commision as far as climbing goes for a while longer. :(

We went tout today and had here try hanging in her harness agian, but it still kinda hurt her leg.

On the up side, she did get to go tromping around in crampons today. Not really on any ice, but up and down some frozen slopes to get to where she could hang in her harness. She did pretty good on the trails otherwise.

Aww common, you're making me blush :oops:. I was so slow hiking around today, but I think that I was being overly cautious and could go faster. Once my leg gets a little stronger I'll get up those hills a little quicker.

The harness hurt a lot less than it did a month or two ago, but still has a way to go. We'll try it again in another month or so.
granite_grrl

Postby martha » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:36 am

Don't rush it Rebecca!! You aren't missing anything at all this early in the season anyways, and so what if you don't even get out this season. You have YEARS ahead of you to climb. I know you must be very eagar to get back at it for a variety of reasons, but healing properly is far more important. Take the time to hike, photograph, enjoy the views and brew the coffee and tea for the rest of them. That can be just as enjoyable in the meantime. :) Just don't be jealous. It is hard on everyone.

I was SOOOOOOOOOO Jealous of Fred when he was climbing outside and I couldn't because I was a whale of a preggo lady. even if I did boulder at the gym until 1 week before giving birth. I sure couldn't hike or anything else at that stage of the game. I was HUGE. It wasn't worth the fights because I know that now, it was worth the wait, for all sorts of reasons, and that it was only a few short months that I was out of commission.

I remember after having the baby that I wanted to get back climbing asap. I went within 10 days and as soon as I hung on the wall I knew that it just wasn't time yet. I was far too sore to be there. i know it isn't the same as what you have went through, but I can tell you that waiting until the right time is worth it. :)

Worth it for me to the point that Fred and I will be having another one and I'll be out of commission again! (not yet folks! stop the rumour mills! - soon enough though!)

in anycase, be proud of your acomplisments thus far!!! yay for walking in crampons and hiking!!!! That is Awesome!!!!!!

Cara
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Return to General