Hey Check it!

For all the motormouths who just need to spray.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Hey Check it!

Postby szymiec » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:11 am

Namaste from Kathmandu. Just wanted to say that life on the road is good for anyone who cares to listen. Check out these unreal pics from my Ama Dablam expedition. 6856 meters of Himalayan goodness:
http://www.szymiec.com/gallery/index.php?list=14

A note to readers: Camp 3 was destroyed by an avalanche 14 days after i was there. 6 people, including 2 sherpas, are gone. Died in their sleep.

When i first arrived in C3 i questioned the camp placement, our Sherpa Lakpha, told me its safe and that the hanging glaciers had been there forever. They're not there now.

Headed back into India for some hot rock. Balgalore then up to Kampi for m own little pilgrimage. Anyone interested?

Chris
szymiec

Postby *Chris* » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:46 am

Yoikes! :shock: Nice stuff.
*Chris*

Postby martha » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:35 am

Very impressive. I would just LOVE to do some treking in that part of the world and perhaps get the gonads to do a summit. Those pictures just rip at my heart!

I'm kinda half thinking Patagonia though... too bad my husband is such a sport climbing pansy. Oh well, I guess he can stay home with the kids. ;)

hahaha.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby szymiec » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:44 am

Yeah, the photos tear at my heart too: now that I'm in Kathmandu. Sucking the pollution and Everest beer. Thats the brand; hehe.

You can always try one of the trekking peaks. They're mostly easy. For instance. Island peak requires 2 pitches of roped climbing. Many people solo it though getting ready for Ama Dablam or something like Cholatse (droooool). we climbed Lobuche, mostly, and there is no need for ropes. The views were unreal. Everest, Lhotse, Pumori, Nupste, Ama Dabhlam, Cholatse, Taboche. Makalu and I think Kanchengunga plus so many more, all in a single frame. (still drooling).

I'd say however, that trekking is for the birds. Especially after working so hard for so long. As i walked, i swore I'd never go back. 1 week later I booked another flight into the hills intent on bagging a couple more of the so called trekking peaks. Thats another story though.

Let me know if you need a good contact in Nepal.
szymiec

Postby martha » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:47 am

szymiec wrote:Yeah, the photos tear at my heart too: now that I'm in Kathmandu. Sucking the pollution and Everest beer. Thats the brand; hehe.

You can always try one of the trekking peaks. They're mostly easy. For instance. Island peak requires 2 pitches of roped climbing. Many people solo it though getting ready for Ama Dablam or something like Cholatse (droooool). we climbed Lobuche, mostly, and there is no need for ropes. The views were unreal. Everest, Lhotse, Pumori, Nupste, Ama Dabhlam, Cholatse, Taboche. Makalu and I think Kanchengunga plus so many more, all in a single frame. (still drooling).

I'd say however, that trekking is for the birds. Especially after working so hard for so long. As i walked, i swore I'd never go back. 1 week later I booked another flight into the hills intent on bagging a couple more of the so called trekking peaks. Thats another story though.

Let me know if you need a good contact in Nepal.

Man, Lobuche sounds amazing. What a dream it would be to take 4-6 weeks and go over there to do that. I would love to climb some peaks, but I don't really want to put myself in any precarious positions since I'm a mom now. Though I'm sure that my climbing brain will get the better of me should I go there with the intent of 'trekking'.

sigh. Maybe I'll make a 5 year plan and put that in it! :)

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Mountain_Marc » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:52 am

I'm still looking for a partner to climb some stuff in Patagonia. Anyone interested??
"You can't practice to be miserable. You're either good at it or you aren't."

"If a wife speaks in the woods, and her husband is not there to hear her...is she still wrong?"
Mountain_Marc

Postby The Mitt » Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:39 pm

Awesome man. Glad you are having fun.

Mitt
The Mitt

Postby martha » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:15 am

Mountain_Marc wrote:I'm still looking for a partner to climb some stuff in Patagonia. Anyone interested??

Ya man! (if only the gods that be could allow it!)

nice signature by the way. :twisted:

martha

Postby Mountain_Marc » Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:28 pm

martha wrote:

Yeah, mine is a little closer to the truth. :lol:

"If a wife speaks in the woods, and her husband is not there to hear her...is she still wrong?"
Mountain_Marc

Postby martha » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:18 pm

Mountain_Marc wrote:
martha wrote:

Yeah, mine is completely false though. :lol:

:lol: :lol:

martha

Postby szymiec » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:51 am

Patagonia, Hmm, what season and routes?

Id love to go to Alpamayo., Peru. Drool...

We might do one of the polish routes on Acon slog ua next year.

Chris
szymiec

Postby sand » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:03 am

szymiec,
You say you have contact for Nepal.... Last year I was planing a trip to Nepal to go trekking on Annapurna, but i ended up not going. I still want to make that trip, I miss the mountains and this morning a friend of mine told me she was interested in going next fall. I would mostly like to get some advice from you. I have limited experience I would say as I never have to climb anything that required technical skill (ie never had to use ropes) and the highest I have been was 4200m high in the Andes (Perou) without feeling sick, but definitely feeling less oxygen. I never been in the Himalayans before, but its a dream that I will make come true. I was looking at the 20 days trek circuit on Annapurna still with 5416m being the highest point (no summit, Annapurna is out of my league for now). Do you think Annapurna is good for a first time in Nepal? ANd Although Fall is colder than spring, I hear its clearer for the scenery. Any tip will be appreciated.
Sandrine
sand

Postby Mountain_Marc » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:54 am

szymiec wrote:Patagonia, Hmm, what season and routes?

Don't care. Just want to go out and climb in Patagonia.

Mountain_Marc

Postby szymiec » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:13 am

sand wrote:Do you think Annapurna is good for a first time in Nepal? ANd Although Fall is colder than spring, I hear its clearer for the scenery. Any tip will be appreciated.

It really depends on what you are looking for. Annapurna is really unreal but the Khumbu is heart stopping. Everest, Lhotse, Cho oyu, Makalu, Pomori, Nupste, Cholatse, Ama Dablam, my god. Plus you get to fly into Lukla, the best part f the trip!

I'd recommend doing the classic everest base camp trek but avoiding base camp. Its really a waste of time and a hellish slog of four hours on the moraine. Its better to just run up Kal Patar 5700M for sun set. Nothing like alpine glow on Everest, Lhotse and Nupste.

We were there in November and had unreal weather for most of the month.

I'll post some photos whn i get back to Canada. 2 days!yeah!!!
szymiec

Postby szymiec » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:21 am

Oh yeah

My contact in Nepal is my dear friend Nima T Sherpa .
nima-sherpa@hotmail.com

He is definitely the man in Kathmandu. He treated my like a son. Introduced me to all of these unreal climbers, invited me to his home for dinner. He even offered to loan me money to go on an Annapurna 4 expedition, ha, i sadly declined.

Not sure if anyone here is interested; we are planning our fall season again.

Cho Oyu 8200M west face in September (38 days)
Ama Dablam 6856M SW Ridge in November (28Days)
Ama Dablam 6856M SW Ridge winter ascent in December (28 Days)

Yeah Baby
Chris
szymiec

Return to General