All I have to say is HOLLY frig!

For all the motormouths who just need to spray.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

All I have to say is HOLLY frig!

Postby Zamboni » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:32 pm

Zamboni

Postby chossmonkey » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:55 pm

That is out of one of the Masters of Stone videos. Maybe the 4th?
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Re: All I have to say is HOLLY frig!

Postby Climbing4life » Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:25 pm

Zamboni wrote:http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-1466771154342194156

i`ve seen it before , and i love it every time

SOOOO CRAZY!! :shock:
"Death was Nature's way of telling you to slow down."
-- Terry Pratchett (Strata, 1981)
Climbing4life

Postby chossmonkey » Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:46 pm

In the original version doesn't he make a big chuck and miss then catch himself?

Maybe I'm confusing it with another video or the part where he does the flying leap/all points off dyno?
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby PeterA » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:26 pm

chossmonkey wrote:In the original version doesn't he make a big chuck and miss then catch himself?

Maybe I'm confusing it with another video or the part where he does the flying leap/all points off dyno?

I saw that on one of the versions of this video as well. I think that most of the versions out there have that part cut out though.
PeterA

Postby granite_grrl » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:25 pm

I've seen that video a number of times now, but still cool to watch.
granite_grrl

Postby Nate » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:25 pm

Yeah, Dan Osman(sp?) was pretty crazy. I remember seeing that video when I started climbing in at the gym. Sickness....

Nate
Nate

Postby The Mitt » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:14 pm

goto youtube and search katie brown on tombstone what a whipper.

Mitt
The Mitt

Postby jeremy benjamin » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:15 am

Wow! 4:25, He deserves a Darwin Award for that
jeremy benjamin

Postby martha » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:21 am

The Mitt wrote:goto youtube and search katie brown on tombstone what a whipper.

Mitt

not near as big as the whippers that Dean Potter was taking on that route! Have you seen that vid?
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby jeremy benjamin » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:10 am

So it is 11am, and I am obviously having a productive morning in the lab, watching Dan Osman speed soloing and jumping off rediculously high things with ropes, and Katie Brown taking falls on Tombstone, then I come across climbing in swimsuits: Deep water soloing video on you tube, and who is this halifax local with the farmers tan in West Virgina, pretty psyched to do what he came here to do...D.W.S!?
jeremy benjamin

Postby dcentral » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:41 pm

have you guys seen this video.

The best whipper is at about 3 minutes in there or so.

http://video.google.fr/videoplay?docid=2656492158206595583&q=petzl
dcentral

Postby granite_grrl » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:11 pm

dcentral wrote:have you guys seen this video.

Rock breaking....that sucks. The kicker is that there looked to be a draw right next to him he could have clipped.
granite_grrl

Postby mathieu » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:28 pm

If anyone goes to see the travelling Banff film festival for 2006 DON'T miss the opening credit of the festival. Footage of climber on a pillar, he's just about to top out, places his tool at the very top of the pillar at the sweet spot and ................................

I didn't see the film in question but i think its called "Quebec Givre" would be worth seeing just to get some closeure
mathieu

Postby dcentral » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:33 pm

granite_grrl wrote:

Rock breaking....that sucks. The kicker is that there looked to be a draw right next to him he could have clipped.

That video didn't seem to have it. But there was a version going around where they replayed it in slow mo when the rock broke. You can see the look of shock on his face. It's pretty good.
dcentral

Postby Mountain_Marc » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:41 pm

dcentral wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:

That video didn't seem to have it. But there was a version going around where they replayed it in slow mo when the rock broke. You can see the look of shock on his face. It's pretty good.

Is it the Petzl video? I can't view the video at work but i'm pretty sure i've seen just the shocked look on his face comment.
"You can't practice to be miserable. You're either good at it or you aren't."

"If a wife speaks in the woods, and her husband is not there to hear her...is she still wrong?"
Mountain_Marc

Postby Graham » Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:34 pm

I like how, as he steped onto the ledge, he said "I can't fall now" and then *pop*, away he goes...... I'll bet they gave him a hard time for that.
Graham

Postby dcentral » Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:54 pm

yeah it's off the petzl site. They just copied it over to google video.

I like how he continuously pulls out rope. His belayer must have been confused.
dcentral

Postby dcentral » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:09 pm

dcentral

Videos

Postby peter » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:01 pm

Since Dan Osman is no longer alive to say this himself, I will:

"Don't try this at home, kids".
peter

Postby PaulB » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:43 pm

jeremy benjamin wrote:Wow! 4:25, He deserves a Darwin Award for that

peter wrote:Since Dan Osman is no longer alive to say this himself...

You can only do crazy stuff for so long before it catches up with you. Osman eventually got caught.
PaulB

Postby chossmonkey » Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:08 am

It was more equipment failure rather than the "crazy" stuff he did that got him.
chossmonkey

Postby Fred » Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:39 pm

If I keep raming my car into a brick wall and the airbag saves me everytime but one time it fails to open... can I say it was the malfunction that got me and not my reckless behaviour? sorry just playing devil's advocate here. :)
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby PaulB » Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:39 pm

chossmonkey wrote:It was more equipment failure rather than the "crazy" stuff he did that got him.

I'd agree if we were talking about Todd Skinner's death. He was doing something entirely routine (for climber's at least) and for which the equipment which failed (his harness) was designed. Osman, on the other hand, was doing something which pushed the limits of his gear (knotted dynamic ropes) literally to the breaking point. I doubt any rope manufacturer would recommend using their products as he did.

fred wrote:If I keep raming my car into a brick wall and the airbag saves me everytime but one time it fails to open... can I say it was the malfunction that got me and not my reckless behaviour?

In today's crazy litigious world, you could probably sue an automobile or air bag manufacturer and win based on that argument.
PaulB

Postby chossmonkey » Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:50 pm

Fred wrote:If I keep raming my car into a brick wall and the airbag saves me everytime but one time it fails to open... can I say it was the malfunction that got me and not my reckless behaviour? sorry just playing devil's advocate here. :)

It depends on if you are racing or intentionally crashing into the wall. :twisted:

Dan Osman took a lot of risks. Some things he did were more risky than others. The setup for the rope jump he was killed on was very well thought out and well planned. He and several other people did many jumps on that rig, safely. It was arguably no more dangerous than climbing.

Risk is a game we all play to some degree.
chossmonkey

Postby Ken P » Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:30 pm

Plunging 1100ft off Leaning Tower hardly could be chalked up to equipment failure. I'm sure that Osman was well educated in his rigging skills, however the result ...
Ken P

Postby granite_grrl » Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:45 pm

Ken P wrote:Plunging 1100ft off Leaning Tower hardly could be chalked up to equipment failure.

Sure it can.

People who don't understand rock climbing probobly think the climber had it coming to them when they are badly hurt or killed.
granite_grrl

Postby martha » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:06 pm

chossmonkey wrote:
Dan Osman took a lot of risks. Some things he did were more risky than others. The setup for the rope jump he was killed on was very well thought out and well planned. He and several other people did many jumps on that rig, safely. It was arguably no more dangerous than climbing.

From what I understand about the circumstances surrounding his death... the set up that he died on had been jumped on a few times before, in previous days. He came back to the site for another jump, and use the same equipment and set up that had been there in the sun/wind etc for a few days. The anchors etc were checked, however, checking the entire length of rope would have been impossible.

It is Possible that the equipment failed from exposure. Regardless...he was taking some pretty crazy risks.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Dan Osman, Fall of the Phantom Lord

Postby pulldown » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:40 pm

The story i heard was that Dan had a dispute with park rangers over the first jumps he did on that setup. Not sure of the details on that dispute but it resulted in him getting tossed in the slammer for a few days while his gear sat out in the elements. When he got out he went back to the setup he check the anchore but did not pull up his ropes to check the knots. The system failed at one of the knots.

If you are interested in more about Dan Osman's life there is a decent book, called Fall of the Phantom Lord . Its a ligt read.
pulldown

Postby Ken P » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:02 pm

Equipment failure or not, it's like having catch with a hand grenade...hot potato, hot potato! :shock:
Ken P

Next

Return to General