Classic photograph of Joe Brown

For all the motormouths who just need to spray.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Classic photograph of Joe Brown

Postby Stevo » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:01 pm

I was re-reading The Hard Years by Joe Brown over Christmas, one of the books that I found most inspiring when I started climbing. In the 1950's this guy propelled British rock climbing light years forward, casually leading climbs onsight that had been declared "impossible" by his predesessors.

This picture really captures the hard man on the fearsome "Cloggy" in Wales equipped in his usual style for climbing new, hard 5.10s in often poor weather and with little or no protection.

Cheers
Steve

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k221/ ... eBrown.jpg
Stevo

Postby chossmonkey » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:32 am

I bet that bowline on a coil would be comfy for hanging belays. :P

Even with decent gear I wouldn't want to be logging any air time tied in like that. :shock:
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby Stevo » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:35 pm

Well I started climbing with the exact same gear in the 70's: hiking boots, bowline around the waist, two slings and biners. We just bought a guide and led all the routes. If there was a tree or chockstone on the pitch then you had a runner, but most likely there was no protection.
Actually it was really cool, think I'll ditch the harness....

Cheers
Stevo

Postby chossmonkey » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:53 am

There are some people who still climb in a swami.

Then again there are people who still refuse to use cams and sticky rubber. To each his own I guess. In the grand scheme climbing is pretty pointless, so what ever gets you the most joy when you are doing it.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Return to General