write an article?

For all the motormouths who just need to spray.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

write an article?

Postby granite_grrl » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:54 am

A woman that I know from climbing approched (via email) last week about writing an article about my accident for the Alpine Club of Canada (Toronto section) newsletter. At first I thought I would, then I thought I wouldn't, and now I'm really not sure.

I have a couple of thoughts on this:
- it could serve a a warning that flowers can happen on a route that is well within your capabilities.
- reminder that ledges suck, they can mess you up.
- self gratification/ego boost for me, explain to people that I wasn't a n00b who didn't know what she was doing
- could be difficult/emotional to have to explain how beat up I was
- recoverry is a pretty personal experiance, and I don't know if I want to discuss it publicly
- don't most people already know the bones of my story?

I am also trying to decide if some of my reluctence of writing this article is that I don't really like the woman who asked me to do it very much. I am also wondering if its hard to get articles for the ACC newletter and she just wants an article to fill it up, and choose to contact me because she knows me and has my email address.

So what do you guys think? Would it be a service to the climbing community, and interesting read or something that you wouldn't care about and just skip over.
granite_grrl

Postby chossmonkey » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:02 pm

I guess I've read lots of similar articals. They might make you think a little bit but it isn't until it is someone you know that it really hits home.

Maybe I should write the whole thing? :?
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby martha » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:17 pm

I think you should write an article, but not for someone you don't like. certainly there are things that can be learned from every accident.

what about writing a story/article for Accidents in North American Mountaineering instead?

Cara
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby granite_grrl » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:52 pm

martha wrote:I think you should write an article, but not for someone you don't like. certainly there are things that can be learned from every accident.

what about writing a story/article for Accidents in North American Mountaineering instead?

Cara

I'd be writing it for the ACC (which I am a member of), I was just asked to do it by someone I don't like :wink:. And its not like I think she's a bad person, its just there are things about her that irritate me, more of a personality problem than anything.

I'm glad that you think that people could learn from this, that would be the main motivating factor for writing it (or getting Nathan to write it for me :P). Of course there's still the problem that I don't acually remember anything about the accident
granite_grrl

Postby The Teth » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:22 pm

Of course there's still the problem that I don't acually remember anything about the accident

Yeah, write it in the first third person: “According to first hand reports I had climbed past the crux....”

I expect the article would be worth reading, if you decide to write it.
The Teth

Postby mathieu » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:46 pm

martha wrote:I think you should write an article, but not for someone you don't like. certainly there are things that can be learned from every accident.

Cara

Accidents in NA are not really article or story type. They are typically very objective and each accident seem to be a collection of interview from all party involved (victim, rescuer, eye witness).

I think an article for a newsletter would be worth it. We have a few of these in the Calgary Section newsletter. However I do see your reluctance since its something that has impacted you emotionaly especially the recovery .
mathieu

Postby saF » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:21 am

I read the Seakayaker magazine and always read the rescue and "accident" reports. I read it so that I can learn from other people's mistakes.... Or to put it better, how to deal with situations that happen to everyday people, sometimes through no fault of their own and sometimes due to their negligence.

I would suggest that you do write the article, or maybe it would be easier to write it with someone. But more importantly, don't write it if you are not comfortable with drawing the attention to yourself and having to open up areas that emotionally tender. There are benefits to both decisions. But it is your decision in the end.

Good luck,
saF
Scott Ferguson
Cornwall, PE
saF

Return to General