Ghana Ice Report

For all the motormouths who just need to spray.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Ghana Ice Report

Postby mike » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:07 am

None for thousands of miles!

In other news though... Ghana is the most impressive untouched bouldering mecca-wannabe I've ever seen or even imagined.

The area north of Techiman along the road towards Mole National Park (read: elephants and crocodiles hanging out in the same pond while baboons try to steal your stuff). Good camping, decent roads nice people.

So nice, in fact, that as I was trying to work my way through a low grade send... one of the Ghanians was kind enough to climb the other side of the boulder to give me a hand up! 'Crazy white people!!!'

The bouldering area is massive, untouched and kinda like the rock at Niagra Escarpment-though not as many finger pockets. It's easily 40km long- not sure how wide. There's a place called the Secret Rock Garden (or something like that- we didn't go). We spoke to an American Peace Corps worker- he said it was 3 hours of walking through endless bouldering potential.

Give it a go!
Mike
mike

Re: Ghana Ice Report

Postby chossmonkey » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:35 am

mike wrote:The bouldering area is massive, untouched and kinda like the rock at Niagra Escarpment-though not as many finger pockets.

So its on slimey rock without as many dirt filled pockets? :P
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby Eager » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:00 am

Got any pics? Send them along.
Eager

Postby mike » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:00 pm

Unfortunately, all photos are analog. Kinda left Nigeria on the spur of the moment. We were both in possession of out passports and a bank card, driving around Lagos... decided to go to Ghana...got here 2 or 3 days later. Taking some shite burger shots with an $18, 35mm piece of shite burgalur shitzen.

The bolders and small escarpments are all pretty solid and grippy- lots of interesting features. I'm no geologist so I'd say the rock is like a softish granite-ish type stuff.

Mike
mike

Postby waterat » Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:27 pm

So what kind of objective dangers does the local wildlife pose ?
waterat

Postby Eager » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:30 pm

Probably big ones. hey Waterat hear you might be in AK at some point this year, bring your climbing gear, I might be up there in april, maybe do some climbing be it ice or whatever.
Eager

Postby mike » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:23 pm

I'd give the objective hazard caused by the local wildlife a grade of- 'nothin you can't eat'

You'll be fine.
mike

Return to General