backcountry skiing info wanted

For all the motormouths who just need to spray.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

backcountry skiing info wanted

Postby new to NB » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:47 pm

Does anyone have any info on backcoutry skiing in the Gaspie or other ares close to hear....... I have seen some stuff on line about a place called MT. Hogback but looking to get a trip going or somthing like that .... ( have not used any of my stuff since leaving Alberta and dieing to get out soon)
new to NB

Postby DanR » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:37 am

there's nice stuff in gaspe. Ice and snow! I've been going skiing there for a while now, but not yet this year. Hogsback is one of the hills in the chics-chocs mountains in gaspe. A simple park your car, 2 hour climb kinda of hill. Many other areas around there too. Some backcountry huts, where the nicest powder is!
Email me if you want more info, or to plan a trip sometime soon. They should be getting lots of snow next few days!
danrichard at ieee dot org
DanR

Postby max » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:40 am

I've been looking at getting up there for some Back country boarding too, haven't used my stuff since I got back from Van. Island. But check out http://www.trailpeak.com, it has trips that people have done in the Gaspiese which might help you out. Max
max

Postby max » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:45 am

I'm interested in planning a trip aswell! Let me know. fish_nbr21@yahoo.com
max

Postby Shawn B » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:08 am

Shawn B

backcountry skiing

Postby new to NB » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:26 pm

AWSOME!!!!!!!!!! guys lets get it done I am thinking march early time. or possible sonner, it is awsome that you guys want to plan a trip .... lets get toghter and work some things out ... I ride and sowshoe, have all gear....

what are you guys thinking?????

not to state to obvious but i just want to be sure every one has a trancerver , probe and shovel.... I dont want to insault any one howevere it is our lives on the line ..... alos in that I have never been so I could be over cautious in this matter........

lets work out some details.........

I can drive up and take 3 people with me I have a vue some there is some room but not too much ....

LETS GET IN THE POW!!!!!!!!!

POWDER TO THE PEOPLE
new to NB

Postby max » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:04 pm

Early march is a great time for me. I have always borrowed a tranceiver so I don't have one, but I do have a shovel and probe. I have a splitboard and all the other stuff for multidays. I'm don't really have a set work schedule so whenever works for you guys is good for me! Stoke level is high!!!
max

Postby DanR » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:11 pm

How about march 9-11. Leave sometime friday afternoon/morning if possible. From moncton, it's about 6.5 hour drive.
YOu can rent all AVI gear at the centre d'interpretation in the park if you don't have any. We can camp out or stay in huts at the campground. I think huts at the campground are like $20/person/night. Cool little cabins with stove and bunk beds.
Lets do this :twisted:
Hope boarders don't mind a skier taggin along
DanR

for sure

Postby new to NB » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:18 pm

that was the weekend that I was thinking about going, I live in freddy and could come tomoncton if that is were you want to leave from... I have all my ave gear..... I am in to both camping or huttign .... some times hutting can be ggod and bad depends on how full they are.......... ( can any of us speak french at all) might help too!!!! lol let get out some more details.....

food ,, gas ,, who is gonna drive out .......

I am getting excited !!!!!!!!!
new to NB

Postby Fred » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:16 pm

Dan can speak 1/2 and 1/2. hehe
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby max » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:53 pm

Sounds good to me. Dan you said I can rent a beacon up there? Huts or tents I'm easy, but huts sound pretty cush... which is nice after a day of rippin. I'm a veggie so I can pack my own food. I rather not drive but I can if that is how things work out. I live in Sackville so It is easy for me to get to moncton. Super stoked lets get this going! Max
max

Postby new to NB » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:52 am

OK cool, I can drive up we 3 can split on the gas.... I have a saturn Vue so we will have room for the 3 of us we also can leave from moncton as I will be there thursday to drop some one off at teh airport......

I am gonna say that the cabin or hut shall I say might be a good idea if they have a wood stove in them and only 20.00 per night .... Dan do you wan tto take car of booking the huhts for us and we can work out the cash later or I can if you give me the contact info .......

Also I saw that you said there is some ice there do you guys want to also bring up some ice stuff too just in case we see as place to stop or what evere .......

we should have the room to bring it all ...........

we can also trade phone number later to work out any small details .....

looking forward to this trip .......
new to NB

Postby DanR » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:47 am

Fred is right, i can speak 1/2, 1/2. Little of everything, but the best is to mix it up, that really confuses the quebec people.
I'll check on the hut situation this afternoon. I'd say probably not worth bringing ice gear, unless we plan on staying longer. Good ice is about an extra hour's drive north.
max & new to nb, email me and we can get the details done up and exchange #'s.
danrichard at ieee dot org
DanR

Postby max » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:54 pm

Sounds good!
max

Postby new to NB » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:02 pm

cool!!!!! ok on the ice gear ........ my name is John and my home number is 506-454-0067

I'll all be around all weekend
new to NB

Postby new to NB » Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:11 pm

I was thinking , is the approch far .... to the hut for skiing on sunday I am thinking we might be able to leave moncton friday morrning possibly, is it close enought to ski on sunday as well or is the approch too long. with the drive back......
new to NB

gaspesie ski route

Postby shannon » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:50 pm

Hi guys, I posted much of the gaspesie BC ski content on Trailpeak.com. THe McGerrigle route (3 days) is an easy one with the first day a real bore. There's a guy from Moncton who did the lakes route, and says that was awsome. Don Ricker. His was a five day trip. Mine was three days, but has opportunities for ice climbing at Mine De Madeline. A secret snowshoe push to summit mt xalibu would be really cool too. My post says much of how you could extend those three days on the McGerrigles route. We booked our hut stays in the summer for the chrismas break, so you may not get the huts you want if you're planning for march. Don lucked out to some degree. He was lucky I think. The bigger your party, the harder it is at this point. huts sleep 8, and they don't "allow" tenting.

It's a great place for sure. Probably my fav. Hoggs hack was cool, especially if you telemark and have the gear.

shannon
michael shannon Burt
East coast editor
trailpeak.com
shannon

hut life... your guide

Postby shannon » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:01 pm

Here's a piece I wrote not too long ago. This should help!

http://www.trailpeak.com/index.jsp?cat= ... l=4186*art
michael shannon Burt
East coast editor
trailpeak.com
shannon

back country skiing

Postby Greg » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:17 pm

Hey Now,

Parc de la Gaspesie is THE BOMB!! Been hitting the Chics for the past four years, about 2 visits per year. Was there just last month and I would love to go back. If you need a fourth... count me in.

Greg
Greg

Postby DanR » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:46 am

Looks like were leaving moncton early on March 9th, and will be camping in comfort style at the main camp-site. All cabins are full. You're more than welcome to join! Doing downhill runs on hogs back, champs de mars, etc. for 2-3 days. Shoudl be fun.
DanR

Postby new to NB » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:20 pm

I hate to be that person , however with the gear we are taking to " camp in style with heat" I do not have rome for a forth , I have a Saturn Vue, yes it does seat 4 but we have to lay a seat down the one one the left side. It has the center seat belt with it and of course the left side too...

so I a,m sorry to say I have room in the tent and love to the the better with skiing however I just can not take a 4th legally and with some comfort in mind
new to NB

Postby Greg » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:25 pm

No worries John. I may be able to arm twist a couple of buddies into a little trip and who knows maybe we will see you there. You're going to love it there. Have fun.
Greg

Postby new to NB » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:27 am

is ever one getting exicted to go !!!!!!!!

I am just wraping up the last bit of details on my end as we speak!!!
and Dan I will be givivng you a call today some time too..

Also what do you guys think about leaving on thursady when you guys get off work and have all day friday to ride and see the sights !!!!!
new to NB

Postby new to NB » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:01 am

DAN !!!!!!! MAX!!!!!!!! is our trip still on i cant seam to get a hold of any one?????????????
new to NB

chic choc trip

Postby shannon » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:43 pm

Did this trip ever happen? If it didn't, you missed out on an awsome place!

shannon
michael shannon Burt
East coast editor
trailpeak.com
shannon

Postby max » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:27 pm

Yup it happened and it was sweet, there is so much stuff to be skied and climbed. Fantastic place!
max

chics

Postby shannon » Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:15 pm

Max,

What route did you take? email me @ shannon@trailpeak.com
shannon

hey..

Postby Dee » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:43 pm

Please post your route here if you don't mind. I'm interested in the chics as well!
Dee
Dee

Postby new to NB » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:16 pm

YA we made it up there it was awsome!!!!!!! it was so much fun as for the routes i am not to sure what we did... Mt Hogsback the first day and went to ( now i am just trying to remember this from a few weeks ago) mount des murle? I can't remember and have no idea how to spell it ( Dan was our guide and the trip planner) HOWEVER the trip was awsome and we had a good time with a few good turns an awsome party we attened at the hotel. and girls asking us where we were sleeping every time we went some where( in side joke) but hey you know "it is so big" inside, any way a little look back in my head LOL!!!!!!! ( MAX and DAN will know what I am talking about) lol any way it was awsome and such a nice place to go. There is so much to ice climb and ski there it was awsome...... As a kid growing up in Banff I never thought there would be this type of terrain out east!!!!!! this is a place I will be comming back too ........ let get a trip going for 1st good snow fall next year!!!!!!!!!!
new to NB

Return to General