Immigration application getting sent in!

For all the motormouths who just need to spray.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Immigration application getting sent in!

Postby granite_grrl » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:56 am

So I prepaid for Nathan's immigration last night. We just have to send in the application now.

I'm both very nervous and excited. It has taken us so long to get everything together. That damned FBI background check took months to get back.

Just hope that everything goes smoothly and doesn't take more than a year. Wish us luck!!!
granite_grrl

Postby martha » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:33 pm

Man,

the people we are letting in this country these days....

no wonder the place is in shambles....

:lol: :lol:
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Mountain_Marc » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:08 pm

Damn immigrants stealing our jobs!!! :lol:

Oh wait, i'm one.
"You can't practice to be miserable. You're either good at it or you aren't."

"If a wife speaks in the woods, and her husband is not there to hear her...is she still wrong?"
Mountain_Marc

Postby chossmonkey » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:06 am

martha wrote:Man,

the people we are letting in this country these days....

no wonder the place is in shambles....

:lol: :lol:

They still haven't let me stay! :shock:

Mountain_Marc wrote:Damn immigrants stealing our jobs!!! :lol:

Oh wait, i'm one.

Rebecca's old stay at home husband is fuming! :lol:

Where did you come from Marc? The irony is once I can work I'll be making less money than I would be in the States. :?
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby granite_grrl » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:25 am

So the application went in, and Nathan is already out of status. We've been trying to avoid hiring a lawyer, but in this case I think we better. The last thing we need is to have him deported or his application denied because he's here illeagally. We've got to figure out the easiest, safest way to get his status back.
granite_grrl

Postby Mountain_Marc » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:02 am

chossmonkey wrote:

Where did you come from Marc? The irony is once I can work I'll be making less money than I would be in the States. :?

I was born in Boston.

"If a wife speaks in the woods, and her husband is not there to hear her...is she still wrong?"
Mountain_Marc

Postby chossmonkey » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:42 am

Mountain_Marc wrote:
chossmonkey wrote:

I was born in Boston.

Don't you mean "Bwostunn"?

I guess now it's "Boston, eh!" :lol:
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby Mountain_Marc » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:45 am

I guess I didn't live there long enough to get the accent :(

It would be fun to say carabinah!

Mountain_Marc

Postby granite_grrl » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:57 am

I have an aunt and uncle who have lived near Boston for quite a while, but they're origianally from Cape Breton. I still want to say they have more of a CB accent than a Boston one.

But then I don't even notice my Dad's newfi accent, so maybe I'm not the best one to judge :?.

Nathan has a Midwest accent though :P. I did notice that the when I first met him.
granite_grrl

Postby mike » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:50 am

From what I've read- once a person is married to a Canadian citizen and has applied for permanent residence status, they cannot be asked to leave. If they are in the country illegally they are not legally allowed to work and they cannot apply for govt. benefits. Good luck with your application.
I'm in a similar situation, kind of: I applied for a temporary resident visa for my Nigerian wife. After a whopping 4 hours of deliberation- her application was denied. No phone calls, no questions, nothing. The denial letter came with- "this decision is final you have no right to appeal". All we wanted to do was come for a visit- maybe meet my family and stated as much in the letter of invitation.
So... We're going to Nepal. The govt. there is nice and probably employs Nepalese people. The Canadian consular in Nigeria told me she was Philipino.... Weird.

Sorry for ranting, I'm sure your application will work out just fine,
Mike
mike

Postby granite_grrl » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:12 am

What about applying for a perm residence for her? I'm not sure how long the processing would be there, but I know some countries have very fast processing if are applying out of country for her.

As for applying for perm residence from within Canada, we were told that just because we're married doesn't mean he can just stay here. If he is out of status thay can treat him as they could anyone out of status, and ask him to leave.

They started allowing spouses to stay in Canada a couple of years ago, but they say exactally what you need to do and what the restrictions are on you. Its especially confusing when you've got and American who came in and they don't bother to stamp your visa.

Oh well, we still haven't heard anything back yet. Our application is probobly still sitting there unopened.
granite_grrl

Postby chossmonkey » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:32 am

mike wrote:From what I've read- once a person is married to a Canadian citizen and has applied for permanent residence status, they cannot be asked to leave.

Once the first stage of the process is completed and if you haven't done anything other than loose status or work illegally that is true. Until they start to process your application (8-9 months) they can do what ever they want. As long as you don't get into any trouble it is rather unlikely they would ask you to leave just because you are out of status. I think I'm starting to ramble. :oops:

Anyway, the applications are all in and there are no reasons to really be too worried. In hind site there are a lot of things we could have done different, but things should work out okay. Its just going to take forever!
chossmonkey

Postby mike » Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:55 am

We're considering a few options right now. One is permanent residence, another is putting up 'bond money' as part of the visa application.
Fact of the matter is, we just want to come for a visit- for now anyway. Seems a bit much to be applying for permanent residence to somewhere you've never been before.
Mike
mike

Postby chossmonkey » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:00 am

mike wrote:We're considering a few options right now. One is permanent residence, another is putting up 'bond money' as part of the visa application.
Fact of the matter is, we just want to come for a visit- for now anyway. Seems a bit much to be applying for permanent residence to somewhere you've never been before.
Mike

If you aren't currently living in Canada it wouldn't make any sense to apply for PR for her. It is a lengthy process and if she "lives" anywhere else other than Canada she would loose it and have to go through it all again.

It will be nice once I am eligible to become a citizen, then we don't have to worry about living out of Canada and loosing my PR that I am still waiting to get. :roll:
chossmonkey

Return to General