Travel Insurance

For all the motormouths who just need to spray.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Travel Insurance

Postby Graham » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:58 pm

I'm wondering what company people get their travel insurance from when going on out of country climbing trips? I assume people opt for some form of coverage, I just want to know who offers the best rates/protection plans.
Graham

Postby granite_grrl » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:33 pm

I have always either been covered under my parent's insurance (when I was a student and just after) or through my work when I've travelled in the states.

I'm lazy, I just head to my insurance broaker and see whats the best they can give me...that's what they're there for after all. If you want to dig around your self I seem to remember someone telling me that MEC has trip insurance. Maybe check with them.
granite_grrl

Postby Mountain_Marc » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:50 am

"You can't practice to be miserable. You're either good at it or you aren't."

"If a wife speaks in the woods, and her husband is not there to hear her...is she still wrong?"
Mountain_Marc

Postby martha » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:03 am

most companies don't cover accidents that happen while climbing, scuba diving, sky diving and other various 'extreme' or highly dangerous sports.

We have Blue Cross through Fred's work. Blue Cross offers insurance for travel only and you can buy it online no problem. It is fairly reasonalby priced too.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Stef » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:34 am

If you buy travel insurance make sure you read the fine print. They don't always volunteer the booklet with all the legal jargon in it, ask for it and check under "exclusions". Most will have a rock climbing exclusion, don't rely on any verbal assurances from the person behind the counter, they usually don't know what they are talking about.

If you are a CAA member, thier travel policy does not (for now) have a climbing exclusion.

Cheers,

Stef.
Stef

Postby mathieu » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:34 pm

Travel Underwritters don't have an "extreme sport" exclusion last time I used it (a year ago)
mathieu

Postby chossmonkey » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:48 am

I have TIC travel insurance right now as my health insurance until I can get provincial coverage. It will cover climbing injuries. It is $1.60 -$6 a day depending on how much coverage you want ($10,000-$150,00), the plan (basic or select) and your age. There is a minimum of 10 days and can go for a year. http://www.travelinsurance.ca
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby chossmonkey » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:54 am

I should also add, make sure you read all the EXCLUSIONS on what ever policy you get. That will tell you more about what you are getting than what they say is covered. Some things that would normally be covered won't be because of "A", "B", or "C".
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Return to General