Can I Ice Climb with you?

For all the motormouths who just need to spray.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Can I Ice Climb with you?

Postby Andrew » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:55 pm

If the weather is safe to drive and climb either saturday or sunday this weekend, is there anyone who would like to have a NEWBIE Ice Climber come out with them?

I dunno if it'll be safe to drive tomorrow or whatever, but if so... anyone???

I have a pair of Ice Tools and crampons borrowed and need someone to climb with.

email f2e8 at hotmail dot com and you can even call me 849-0473. I'm in Quispamsis/SJ area. Leave msg, I'll call ya back if im not home.

Climb on.
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:10 am

I should mention that I don't have a partner so I am hoping to go find ppl at the 'cliff' today :P
Andrew

Postby chossmonkey » Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:45 am

Hopefully you'll have luck meeting up with someone. If not you can still probably boulder around the bottom of the flows and practice your swing. Just becareful, even a short fall with crampons can break you leg or ankle pretty quick.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby Andrew » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:24 am

Choss,

I appreciate your reality checks! They make me feel so much better :P j/k. Ya... with all things like this gotta realize that there are consequences to the most minor effup.

I keep thinking that what if I fall while I'm climbing and my axe comes down and smacks me in the face? OUCH! Just gotta hope that doesn't happen i guess.

Andrew keeping safe...

cheers.
Andrew

Postby granite_grrl » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Also make sure that someone knows where you'll be and what time you expect to be back.

Just getting out there to practice your swing and kicking your crampons in can help a lot. Its nice that you're so motivated.

Let us know how it works out for you.
granite_grrl

Postby Andrew » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:46 pm

Thanks go out to Dan and Tracy for taking me in today for a great couple of Ice Climbs on Waterfall Wall.

Stef an Mal were there doing some rock climbing. Maybe the first climb of the season?

I'll post the pics soon. They will be here:

http://www.climbnb.mine.nu/photos.htm on the top of the page. If the site doesn't work, refresh and then try again in a few hours. This is hosted on my PC and I may have had to reboot or suffered a power outage.

BTW. Waterfall Wall was kinda like snowy. Real soft. That was an interesting but very good learning experience.

Andrew
Andrew

Postby Fred » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:12 am

Andrew wrote:Stef an Mal were there doing some rock climbing. Maybe the first climb of the season?

nope. we climbed rock last weekend and other groups climbed rock in January.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby chossmonkey » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:06 am

Fred wrote:
Andrew wrote:Stef an Mal were there doing some rock climbing. Maybe the first climb of the season?

nope. we climbed rock last weekend and other groups climbed rock in January.

Not to "one up" you all, but I've been doing both at the same time since it got cold here in January. :wink:

******LINK******
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Waterfall Wall :·.: Photos :.·: 03·03·2007

Postby Andrew » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:03 pm

Photos of Waterfall Wall with Dan, Tracy, Buddy and Andrew from o3·o3·2oo7. It's mostly me in the photos, because Mallory was taking the photos. A few pics of Dan and one of Buddy *Dan's dog*.

1024x768 image
320x240 thumbs
3.2mp Canon Powershot

Time: 3pm - 5pm EST
Andrew

LINK

Postby Andrew » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:04 pm

Andrew

Postby chossmonkey » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:56 pm

It looks like you havd a good day out. The routes looked nice, the ice looked a little baked though. How was it?
chossmonkey

Postby Andrew » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:58 pm

Choss,

My camera didn't do justice to the detail of the ice.

The ice was covered in a few inches of either snow or cheese-ice? It was difficult as a newbie to know if my feet were planted and a little harder to make a tool placement. The base of the waterfall was slush. Ice was melting away throughout the 5C day.

I think those conditions helped me learn alot, though. It was greta and I cant wait to get out again. If the ice is still good this weekend I might hook up with whoever going again, otherwise I'll have to wait till next season i guess.

Tracy and Dan were great to include me in their day.

chossmonkey wrote:It looks like you havd a good day out. The routes looked nice, the ice looked a little baked though. How was it?
Andrew

Postby granite_grrl » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:15 am

Andrew wrote:The ice was covered in a few inches of either snow or cheese-ice? It was difficult as a newbie to know if my feet were planted and a little harder to make a tool placement. The base of the waterfall was slush. Ice was melting away throughout the 5C day.

I am starting to hate those coatings for bad ice over the good stuff. I just don't have the energy to kick through it, and it hurts my leg if my foot cuts through. But I was fortuanate enough that Nathan spent some time chopping off a lot of that bad ice to the good stuff underneath for me.

Hope you get out again, though the conditions there don't seem great. We're heading into another few cold days so I'm hoping I can still get a bit more time out on the ice this winter.
granite_grrl

Postby martha » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:42 am

I was out yesterday and the ice is definately sunbaked. But it is Hero ice so pretty fun to climb on. I'm hoping for 1 more ice climbing day this season.

Here's to hoping!
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Return to General